Breaking news: UW suspends Smith for all road games

The University of Wisconsin suspended sophomore running back Lance Smith today for all five of the team’s road games this season.

Smith is set to appear in court Oct. 23 following a July incident involving an alleged dispute with his girlfriend. The suspension comes as a “resolution of a non-academic misconduct case,” according to a release from UW Athletic Communications.

According to a criminal complaint, the alleged incident occurred outside the Open Pantry on Regent Street.

"It was a dispute over cab fare that got out of hand and became violent," Assistant District Attorney Mike Verveer previously told The Badger Herald.

In July, Smith was suspended from the football team for violating an athletic discipline policy but was reinstated in August.

Smith will continue to play in all home games and will still recieve athletic support services, according to the release. However, he will not play at UNLV, Illinois, Penn State, Ohio State and Minnesota.

UW Athletic Communications spokesperson Justin Doherty denied to make any additional comment Wednesday.