Lions, tigers, Badgers: summer at Vilas Zoo

As some college students remain on the University of Wisconsin campus this summer, they have taken the opportunity to explore the surrounding city for everything it has to offer.

Madison attracts outdoor enthusiasts from all over the country for some of its most unique environmental gems — such as the UW Arboretum and the Capital City State Bike Trail. But one alluring exhibit is even closer to campus.

Unbeknownst to some students, Dane County finances and operates its very own zoo less than one mile south of Camp Randall Stadium with help from the local zoological society.

Henry Vilas Zoo, located at the end of South Randall Avenue in Vilas Park, is one of the few remaining free parking, free admission zoos in the nation. It is small compared to the zoos of larger cities like Milwaukee or the famous San Diego Zoo, but it nonetheless aims to educate visitors about critters of all shapes and sizes.

Judy Miyagawa, program director of the Henry Vilas Zoological Society, said it's surprising more college students don't take the time to visit the free zoo.

"There's so many that don't even have a clue a zoo's here," she said. "The whole atmosphere here is really nice, and that's what a lot of people like."

Most visitors on a Saturday afternoon are area families with children too young to ride a rollercoaster. But some students make the trip, perhaps to visit a real-life Bucky Badger in the prairie ecosystem.

Miyagawa said the zoological society doesn't do a lot of community outreach with the UW campus or even local schools — she said most teachers decide to bring to students to the zoo rather than the zoo bringing students in.

Brian Rojas, an engineering senior at UW, said his busy academic schedule and other activities have prevented him from visiting the zoo. He also didn't know it was free.

"It would help if the zoo did a little more outreach so people knew it was free," he said. "I think I've only heard people talk about it, and I've seen it on lists of things to do in Madison."

Although nearby in some respect, Rojas said it would also help if there were more information on campus about transportation, such as available bus routes.

Rojas is unfamiliar with the zoo, but other students try to become integral members of the Vilas Park feature.

Miyagawa said she receives an e-mail almost every day from a zoology student at UW requesting to work with the animals. In almost all cases, the request is denied because only zookeepers are allowed to touch the animals.

Most UW students who work with the society volunteer during annual fundraisers. The fundraising events, such as coordinated runs or a special Halloween event in the zoo, are increasingly important, Miyagawa said.

It costs about $1.8 million annually to run the zoo. About 80 percent is supported through county funds and 20 percent through the city of Madison.

Miyagawa said public funding is "stagnant if not decreasing." The zoo relies more heavily on the society to raise dollars for additional exhibits and other repairs. In 2006, Miyagawa said the society raised about $250,000 for the zoo.

About 50 students volunteer with the society every year, mostly during fall and spring semesters when the society organizes more events. According to Miyagawa, a lot of students like to volunteer for the events because it's an easy way to fulfill an organization's volunteer requirement in one big chunk.

"I would love to see them (volunteers) grow a passion and continue on with their careers," Miyagawa said. "I hope they take a good conservation message away."

Except for some holidays, the Henry Vilas Zoo is open daily year-round from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Buildings open at 10 a.m. and close at 4 p.m.