UW System chooses candidates

The final candidates for a high-ranking University of Wisconsin System position were announced Tuesday by UW System President Kevin Reilly.

The search for a new senior vice president for academic affairs began in December following the resignation of Cora Marrett, who left to become the assistant director of education and human resources at the National Science Foundation.

A search and screen committee interviewed semifinalists and presented Reilly with the finalists.

The finalists are James Applegate, vice president for academic affairs and senior fellow council on postsecondary education for the Kentucky education system; Andrew Bodman, provost and vice president for academic affairs at Western Washington University; Estela Lopez, former vice chancellor for academic affairs at Connecticut State University System; and Rebecca Martin, interim senior vice president for academic affairs at the University of Wisconsin System.

Applegate said he was excited about becoming a finalist and said it would be great to work in a system of higher education and help the UW System do more, specifically to enhance its international and national reputation.

Recently, Applegate said Kentucky has received a lot of attention for the success of its academic system and added he has worked to engage public resources with public issues to make changes in the lives of people, specifically for minority students.

"The UW System has had some tough years from a budget perspective from the state," Applegate said. "I would help the president strengthen the relationship between the system and state and explain why the state should fund the system adequately."

Applegate said he would call upon his experience in gathering state support in Kentucky for higher education and helping the UW System receive the support it needs.

"I am very excited about the opportunity to help elevate the quality of life for students in Wisconsin," Applegate said. "To engage the system with the needs of the state, economic development, research capacities and create more opportunity for students of color and low-income students is a great opportunity."

Lopez said she is excited and honored about the incredible opportunity, saying her track record of accomplishments and ability to work with a variety groups and constituents — including chancellors, presidents, regents, faculty and students — would aid her in the position.

"I have been a provost and understand empathy needed to work together for the campuses such as the ones with[in] the University of Wisconsin System," Lopez said.

Lopez said one of the issues that attracted her to Wisconsin was the ability to work with and engage students.

"I would like to be part of working together with everyone in the system to make sure students get a college degree," Lopez said. "To make sure students who never before had an opportunity to go to college can afford it by taking courses at a lower rate."

Lopez added that working as an administrator reminds her every day that the work she does is for students.

"Whatever I do as an administrator, I am open to students," Lopez said. "I look forward to next weekend to convince everyone I am the best candidate for the position."

As of press time, Bodman and Martin were unavailable for comment. All the finalists will be reviewed in Madison next week.