Illinois says ‘Yes’ to smoking ban

Advocates for a statewide smoking ban in all public workplaces said Wisconsin should be inspired by the regulation expected to pass in its neighbor to the south, Illinois.

The Illinois Legislature approved a complete smoking ban on most workplaces Tuesday — including taverns and restaurants — and the governor has said he eagerly looks forward to signing the bill.

Maureen Busalacchi, executive director of Smoke Free Wisconsin, said the Illinois bill, and similar efforts in Minnesota, should place additional pressure on legislators to pass Wisconsin's bill. Specifically, she said tourism may play a larger role now.

"If they have smoke-free (workplaces) in their own state, they'll want it here," Busalacchi said. "I sure hope it's an inspiration (to legislators)."

Smoke Free Wisconsin held its annual Tobacco Control and Prevention Conference in Madison this week, and some of the 300 participants headed to the Capitol Wednesday to meet with legislators.

Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle opened for the conference, reinvigorating support for his $1.25 tax increase on cigarettes proposed in the state budget and his call for a statewide smoking ban.

Earlier this year, Senate Pres. Fred Risser, D-Madison, answered the governor's call and re-introduced his complete statewide smoking ban legislation. The ban has met opposition, as some legislators and interest groups have called for an exemption for taverns.

The Illinois smoking ban, though it includes taverns, does provide exemptions for tobacco stores, senior citizen homes and hotels.

Mike Prentiss, a spokesperson for Senate Minority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, said support for a complete ban in Illinois would have limited impact on Wisconsin lawmakers.

"This bill will be determined by individual legislators and their views," Prentiss said. "It might have a marginal effect on those districts boarding Illinois, … but (it is) not a major factor."

Prentiss said he thinks the Democrat-controlled Senate does not have enough supporters to pass a complete smoking ban and said the tavern exemption is more likely.

Carla Vigue, a spokesperson for Doyle, said Illinois' comprehensive ban — which would be the 19th in the country — is another example of "the way things are going to go."

"The governor has said many times a statewide smoking ban is important to the health of Wisconsin," Vigue said.