Cieslewicz: Edwards for president

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and other Wisconsin delegates have endorsed 2008 presidential hopeful John Edwards for the Democratic nomination, the Edwards campaign announced Wednesday.

The Democrat and Republican presidential primaries in Wisconsin are slated for Feb. 19, 2008, but candidates are already trying to get a head start in Wisconsin, which is traditionally a swing state.

Charles Franklin, a University of Wisconsin political science professor, said endorsements this early in the election cycle are usually targeted toward the politically active rather than general public voters.

"Being first is a great advantage in announcing endorsements," Franklin said.

But compared to the 2004 election, candidates are campaigning earlier and more fiercely for their party's nomination. Franklin said Howard Dean moved the election cycle back four years ago, running his first advertisement in April and beginning to fundraise.

"You'd think this would reach some limit, but we haven't seen that," Franklin added.

For several reasons, this presidential election is expected to be one of the most competitive in recent years. Franklin said the wide-open race is encouraging both parties to step up their campaigning.

He also said, "It's been a while since we've seen two front-runners in both parties."

In most national polls, U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, a Republican, have faired better than their colleagues. Edwards, the South Carolina senator, has usually ranked behind Clinton and U.S. Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill.

Kate Bedingfield, a spokesperson for Edwards, said the campaign released the endorsements to show Wisconsin leaders are supporting the candidate and his stance on the issues.

"From our perspective, Wisconsin voters are looking for change, … and John Edwards is offering a new direction," Bedingfield said.

Cieslewicz was one of 17 Wisconsin Democratic leaders announced Wednesday in support of the Edwards campaign. Others include U.S. Rep. David Obey, former Gov. Tony Earl and 11 state legislators.

In a statement, Cieslewicz said he is glad to support Edwards again, this time for president.

"The issues he raised in his campaign four years ago, especially the issue of poverty, are even more pressing today," Cieslewicz said in a statement. "John Edwards will restore our moral leadership in the world and lead a grassroots movement to lead our nation forward at this critical time in our history."