Sports stars kick off event

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]48Hour_Chris_Spencer_BC[/media-credit]Badger athletes from all 23 varsity sports, cheerleading and dance, had a kink thrown into their practice schedules this week with the 48-hour marathon practice for charity on Library Mall.

Nearly 250 athletes and coaches from squads around campus spent shifts from Sunday at 3 p.m. until today at 3 p.m. "practicing" and collecting money for Blood: Water Mission, which provides clean water supplies to areas of Africa heavily affected by AIDS.

"We are raising money to help put clean water wells into AIDS-rampant areas of Africa," said Scott Mottice, campus director of Athletes in Action, a Christian sports ministry program that helped organize the event. "People are walking eight to 10 miles a day to get disease-infected water, even though there is clean water underneath them."

Mottice said the event originated in 2004 when they attended a Jars of Clay concert and learned of the water initiative founded by lead singer Dan Haseltine.

"We thought that was something we could get our arms around," Mottice said. "The athletic department is so big, we can use the talents we've been given to raise some money."

According to Mottice, last year's event raised more than $5,000 that went toward building two wells in Uganda — they hope to hit the $7,500 mark this year.

"One dollar gives clean water to one African person for a year," Mottice said. "So every dollar makes a serious difference in their lives."

Mottice said athletes from all sports have the unique opportunity of meeting other athletes while participating in the community service event.

Valyncia Raphael, a left fielder on the softball team, said they usually have Mondays off but were happy to participate in the event that took advantage of the athletic teams' popularity.

"I think that athletes in general around this campus set a big example because the town has so much school spirit," Raphael said. "When we're out here, it sets an example that they should give."

Raphael's teammate, first baseman Alexis Garcia, said passers-by scrutinize the use of the money but are then educated by the players on the dire need for clean water in Africa.

"Just like everybody else, they need clean water," Garcia said. "It's unfortunate they can't get that, so we're just trying to help out."

Women's basketball assistant coach Tasha McDowell was on hand with her players collecting donations, and said athletes benefit greatly from the attention and support of fans and community members that they take it as a chance to give back.

"We get so much as athletes and being in the athletic department we have so many people support us," McDowell said. "We're always interested in community service and giving back — I just think it keeps us grounded."

The men's crew team will be at Library Mall starting at 6 a.m., and the event will conclude with the second hourlong collection period with representatives from the football team from 2-3 p.m.