Reilly announces plans for tackling safety

Exactly one week after the deadly shootings at Virginia Tech, the president of the University of Wisconsin System announced his specific plan Monday to address university security statewide.

Kevin Reilly sent a letter to UW-Madison Police Chief Sue Riseling, thanking her for agreeing to chair his 2007 Commission on University Security, which will evaluate long-term campus security and emergency preparedness.

Reilly laid out the goals for the commission in his letter, which include performing a formal "threat assessment," assessing the staff, training and equipment of each university police department and implementing the lessons learned from the Virginia Tech tragedy.

"My impression is that Chief Riseling plans to hit the ground running and address these goals as quickly as possible," UW System spokesperson David Giroux said.

In his letter, Reilly said the commission will be comprised of faculty, staff and students from groups such as UW campus police and security, counseling services, public safety, information technology, university relations, student affairs and faculty and academic staff governance.

Giroux said the committee will have at least one person representing the functions outlined and have as many universities from around the system present as possible.

"It is more important to us that the right functions and areas of expertise are at the table, rather than the number of people there," Giroux said.

In the letter, Reilly said he will ask the UW System chancellors, his cabinet officers, the United Council of UW Students and the UW System Student Alliance to submit nominations to this group.

Lilia Williams, interim executive director for the United Council of UW students, said they are working with student government presidents at all UW schools to find people who would be best suited for the job.

Williams said once United Council knows how many people are interested in serving, its university affairs director will meet later this week to make a decision of who will serve on the commission.

Reilly added in his letter he has spoken to Gov. Jim Doyle, who is supportive of the efforts and plans to address security throughout the UW System.

Applications for the commission are due to Reilly's office this Friday with the first formal meeting scheduled for May 9.