Sheriff arrests history teacher

The Portage County Sheriff's Department arrested a professor at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point last week for possessing child pornography, but his pay will not be affected.

Michael Foret, a history professor, was taken into custody after an ongoing investigation revealed his practices, according to Todd Kuckkahn, director of university relations and communications at UW-Stevens Point.

Kuckkahn said once the university received the information and confirmation they needed regarding Foret, it was immediately shared with the student body.

Students in Foret's classes were notified first, Kuckkahn said, and then the administration contacted the president and vice president of the study body and campus housing.

Kuckkahn said all students were then notified of the situation by e-mail Thursday.

"He has been suspended with pay and has been prohibited from being on campus," Kuckkahn said. "Under UW System rules, we are not allowed to cut professors' salaries — only to suspend with pay."

In addition, Kuckkahn said the university wanted to make sure they communicated with their faculty and staff as well.

"We wanted to communicate what was appropriate and what was available for public record," Kuckkahn said. "There were lots of things we had to balance and weigh when we considered what to do."

Amber Veitler, a freshman in Foret's American history class, said students were not aware of his actions.

"I think mostly students are kind of shocked," Veitler said. "He does not seem like that type of person."

Caitlin Bracken, a freshman at UW-Stevens Point, said students were surprised that an incident like this would happen on campus.

"He seemed like a friendly guy," Bracken said. "But for the most part, people are making jokes about it and think it is kind of strange that an incident like this came from here."

On Wednesday, Kuckkahn said Foret was released on a $10,000 singular bond after appearing in Portage Country Circuit Court.

Kuckkahn said Foret has yet to be convicted of a crime and will appear in court May 1.