State leaders applaud UW

University of Wisconsin System administrators and state legislators praised the undergraduate research conducted by university institutions Wednesday at the Capitol Rotunda.

The presentation, called Posters in the Rotunda, was a celebration of undergraduate student research, complete with student representatives from all 26 UW institutions presenting their work.

State Rep. John Murtha, R-Baldwin, read a joint resolution making Wednesday Undergraduate Research Day and commending students, faculty and staff for their achievements in research.

UW sophomore Desiree Kroes, one of the 11 presenters from UW, called it a "great honor" to present her research.

Kroes said her project attempts to determine how the academic success of minority youth is influenced by family, school, peers and their community.

"I think it is a great honor just being among about eight to 10 students who were selected [at] UW," Kroes said. "To be able to show legislators who can take a stand in some of this and make more of these college programs is exciting."

Democratic Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton said she has tremendous respect for the role of the UW System, adding it not only serves knowledge but is also the base for further development that moves into the public sphere.

"The breadth of the work that you see today is a testament to the UW System," Lawton said.

Lawton said research allows for interdisciplinary work and the opportunity for students to develop relationships with faculty that could one day be colleagues in their field.

Regent Judy Crain said the research on display is a wonderful demonstration of the talent that exists throughout the university system.

"It is great to know this kind of research is being done at our campuses," Crain said. "These people are the future of the state, and we want to support them in any way we can."

UW System President Kevin Reilly called Wednesday a "celebration" of the accomplishments of UW System students.

"If we can give the right resources and the right support system, undergraduates are capable of extraordinary things."

Reilly said he urged legislators in attendance to consider reinvesting in the UW System after years of large cuts, adding Wisconsin's economy depends on it if the state wants to keep up with its neighbors.

"Research and development creates 30,000 jobs that generate $800 million for Wisconsin's economy," Reilly said. "It is the brain game of the state."

State Rep. Jeff Smith, D-Eau Claire, and Sen. Kathleen Vinehout, D-Alma, honored UW-Eau Claire student Lori Scardino at the Capitol.

Scardino, a senior at UW-Eau Claire and a single mom, was recently named to USA Today's 2007 All-USA College Academic First Team.

Scardino said she urged students to give their time and talents to the UW System as a way of giving back for the education they provide.