Remembering the victims

University of Wisconsin students and faculty joined with Madison community members Wednesday night at Bascom Hall to share thoughts and shed tears as they remembered the victims of the Virginia Tech massacre.

Dean of Students Lori Berquam stressed campus unity and extended a message of support to "our friends and colleagues" after the tragedy, offering advice and support personnel to help contribute to the healing process.

"Any time tragic events of this magnitude happen, it impacts each of us differently," Berquam said. "Some of us may be dealing with this right now, and some may be doing it differently and it will surface in a week or two."

As Berquam read the name of each victim from Virginia Tech, the room fell silent, and many quietly sobbed as a four-piece student string group played a tribute.

Anna Clauss, a housefellow at Bradley Learning Community whose brother attends Virginia Tech, said she received concerned phone calls before she had heard about the tragedy. She eventually contacted her family and learned her brother was safe.

"That was a huge relief for my whole family. Then all the what-if scenarios began running through my mind," Clauss said. "There are so many details we can all relate to — being an engineer student, living in the dorms and being RAs — all these different things that were just parts of their normal lives. It just strikes home."

Students at the vigil said they realized the real threat presented by campus violence. The shooting has prompted sharp response from around the state, according to UW System spokesperson David Giroux.

"We began immediately. We wasted no time in making sure our campuses were safe," Giroux said in a phone interview. "[We need to] very publicly look at our plans to reassure our students and our parents that they have a secure environment for our learning."

UW Police Chief Sue Riseling said UW System President Kevin Reilly called for a committee to re-evaluate the policies of campus police agencies at all 26 campuses across the state.

"Initially, we're going to look at active-shooter scenarios, notification and the inability here and in the rest of the country right now to be able to close or lock a campus," Riseling said in a phone interview.

Riseling added they will reassess their protocol to analyze mentally troubled students and early warning signs.

Madison community members connected to Virginia Tech expressed their concern with the reported loneliness of the shooter and encouraged students to reach out and include everyone in the campus community.

Berquam also emphasized the importance of support organizations by introducing members from the Offices of the Dean of Students, as well as dozens of religious leaders who cater to students around UW. She encouraged students to talk to their peers about coping with the issue.

"Maybe you feel helpless about how to reach out to others, how to engage with other students or classmates — take the risk and ask, 'How did this impact you?'" Berquam said. "This will trigger so many different things in each of us. There is no magic thing to say."

At the vigil, Berquam said the UW campus would send a signed banner and flag, ring the bells on Bascom Hall at noon Monday, as well as ask students to wear orange and maroon this Friday to show their support.

Gordon Shetley, who is working in Madison but lives in Virginia and graduated from Virginia Tech, said he appreciated the support from students for everyone connected to the tragedy.

"I actually had classes in Norris Hall, and I lived across the foyer from the shootings in the dorm — a lot of my friends lived on that floor, so it really hit home," Shetley said. "As soon as I saw some VT hats here, it really broke my heart."

Laura Bohne, a UW student who graduated from Virginia Tech, said having the strong showing from UW sent a message.

"It just lets all the Hokies know that everyone here supports them," Bohne said.

— Cassie Kornblau contributed to this story.