UW to evaluate code of conduct

Problems in neighborhoods surrounding the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee campus have caused the UW System to consider revising its code of conduct.

Currently, UW institutions can only discipline students for both academic and non-academic misconduct on campus, UW-Madison Dean of Students Lori Berquam told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The only exception to the rule comes when student-to-student assaults happen off campus.

This December, the UW System formed a committee to propose recommendations on how to expand its students conduct code.

The code could expand its coverage beyond campus for alcohol and drug-related offenses and criminal activities.

This news comes as the Madison Police Department released a report last week revealing violent crimes — such as homicides, robberies and rape — increased in Madison by 16.5 percent from 2005 to 2006.

Associated Students of Madison Chair Dylan Rath said he thinks there could be other solutions to consider before expanding disciplinary action to off-campus areas.

"I do not see how it will improve safety on campus," Rath said. "It seems inconsistent to start monitoring off-campus areas and apply university rules."

Students, Rath said, lead two separate and distinct lives — academic lives on campus and residential and social lives off campus.

The initiative, Rath said, could eliminate that distinction and reduce students' overall privacy.

UW sophomore Alyson Beckman said she did not believe the university should punish students unless they were physically on UW property.

"I think it is unrealistic for UW to expect college students to be on their best behavior all of the time and act like little angels," Beckman said. "At the end of the day, we are all kids in our 20s — young adults — who should not have to fear punishment."

Beckman added the university should only intervene in off-campus matters if a student is harming another student. At that point, Beckman said it should be dealt with by the administration.

— The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel contributed to this report.