Aiming to control drunks

After eight drowning incidents in local rivers since 1997, the La Crosse City Council passed a public intoxication ordinance Thursday in an effort to stop people from stumbling into rivers.

Mayor Mark Johnsrud said the ordinance, which passed on a 15-1 vote, is a "turning point in the history of La Crosse," according to The Associated Press.

The law, which becomes effective March 25, ends months of public debate on the ordinance between City Council members and University of Wisconsin-La Crosse students.

Ryan Van Loo, UW-La Crosse Student Association president, said police will issue citations only if people are showing signs of intoxication that could become a public nuisance, such as vomiting, urinating or unruly behavior.

If cited, Van Loo said first-time offenders will receive a warning and will then be required to attend an alcohol education program, and second-time offenders will be ticketed a minimum of $400.

"Our general reaction is that the city allowed us to take ownership of the ordinance," Van Loo said. "We were allowed to make a lot of positive change that can help students and are supportive of the improvements."

Van Loo said this ordinance will not solve the problem of underage drinking, but rather serve as only a small piece of the puzzle.

In response to the drowning deaths of UW-La Crosse students — including Brookfield native and star basketball player Luke Homan's death last fall — members of the community have taken further action.

Members of peer groups such as Operation River Watch, Van Loo said, patrol the downtown area and watch the water to make sure students are safe if they are inebriated.

UW-La Crosse Police Chief Scott Rohde said in a previous interview with The Badger Herald his department supports efforts trying to eliminate the problem of drinking.

"We do support anything to [stop] these deaths," Rohde said. "The city believes this is another opportunity to make sure people are not so intoxicated and can make clear decisions."

Van Loo added students believe this is an ordinance they can live by, and added that under this ordinance, the police will help students.

–The Associated Press contributed to this report.