Columnist shares N.Y. state of mind

[media-credit name=’SUNDEEP MALLADI/Herald Photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Vowell-SM[/media-credit]Sharing her unique brand of journalism and "pessimistic views" of the world, New York Times op-ed columnist Sarah Vowell spoke to a packed crowd at the Memorial Union Theater Wednesday night.

Vowell is a well-known contributor to National Public Radio's "This American Life," a weekly hour-long radio show that deals with non-fiction journalism in a different light.

"My go-to world view is pessimism," Vowell said. "I see a Broadway advertisement with people dancing in the aisles, and I think, 'That has to be a fire-hazard.'"

Vowell entertained the Madison audience with short excerpts from her own work, including cynical readings of historical documents, such as diaries from the group-marriage Oneida Community.

"Everyone knows there's no marriage in heaven, though one would assume there's marriage in hell," Vowell said.

Sarah Howard, a UW senior and former Badger Herald columnist, said the presentation was "even better than expected" but struggled for words to describe hearing Vowell's work in the journalist's own voice.

"It's kind of hard to do her justice because she's so unique," Howard said.

Vowell, a frequent guest on "The Daily Show," has also appeared on "Nightline," "The Late Show with David Letterman" and "Late Night with Conan O'Brien."

While a college freshman, Vowell said she immediately became involved in the college radio station and took a class to obtain her FCC license.

Vowell then started her own radio show, called "The 20th Century."

"The request I most often got was, 'Can you turn that off?'" Vowell said about the experience.

Though cynical about her early radio experiences, Vowell said she always had a passion for the medium. She did not intend to make a career of it but decided otherwise after meeting Ira Glass, the producer of "This American Life."

Vowell also spoke about her book, "Assassination Vacation."

The book details her reactions to tourist sites around the country dedicated to the murders of Presidents Abraham Lincoln, William McKinley and James Garfield.

In her response to the standard undergraduate request — advice about getting involved — Vowell said first that it was a good way to meet girls.

But in a more serious tone, and displaying political tendencies that were clear throughout the lecture, Vowell did have one suggestion.

"Here's a way you could get involved — get behind a candidate who doesn't want you to die," Vowell said.

Tossing in another zing against the current U.S. administration, Vowell spoke about her feelings in the last election.

"I feel like a fool," Vowell said. "All those years in Sunday school and still the apocalypse catches me off guard."