Nass wants ruling on race

Two prominent Republican state legislators announced Thursday they are seeking a formal opinion from the state's top cop regarding the University of Wisconsin System's new admissions policy.

State Rep. Stephen Nass, R-Whitewater, and state Sen. Glenn Grothman, R-West Bend, have asked fellow-Republican Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen to examine the policy, which includes race as a factor in admissions decisions.

The new policy — which is similar to the one that's been in place at UW-Madison for the past 12 years — will be in effect for the fall 2007 semester at all 26 UW campuses.

Nass and Grothman submitted a formal letter stating their disapproval with the policy and said they are seeking other legislators to co-sign the letter through Tuesday.

State Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, said he signed on today because he believes the admissions policy is a violation of state law.

"[This policy] is far beyond what the state statute has authorized," Suder said. "We are asking the attorney general for an advisory opinion before we take the next steps."

The statues in question include statute 36.11 (3)(a), which says "no sectarian or partisan tests or any tests based upon race … shall ever be allowed in the admission of students," and statute 36.12 (1), which says "no student may be denied admission to … any service, program, course or facility of the (UW) system or its institutions because of the student's race."

Grothman said state law was brought up in question of this policy and it only seems appropriate for the state to find out if the university is indeed breaking the law.

UW System spokesperson David Giroux said the letter is consistent with the way Nass has been responding up until now, but added the Board of Regents was advised that the admissions policy was indeed legal.

"One could surmise that he is not satisfied," Giroux said. "The policy goes back to 1972 when race was first considered in admissions. … People have had 35 years to bring it up."

In a statement, Nass said the UW System leadership has "ignored the opposition" of state residents to the policy.

"This decision highlights the level of arrogance that the UW System President and Board of Regents have towards the views of taxpayers," Nass said.

Grothman added he has "concerns" about the policy.

"I think you are unfairly coloring the achievement of many students because it makes it appear that they got here based on race," Grothman said.

The senator added diversity is not what universities should strive for, but rather "diversity of thought," which he said he believes can be achieved naturally without race as a criterion for admissions.

Representatives for state Sen. Kathleen Vinehout, D-Alma, and state Sen. Jeffrey Plale, D-South Milwaukee, said they will likely comment on Nass and Grothman's letter in the next few days.

The issue of the admissions policy could be in the hands of the attorney general by the middle of next week, and Nass and Grothman said this could be one of the biggest issues that Van Hollen will be forced to address in his first term.