Debating policy’s legality

After the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents passed a revised admissions policy last Friday, UW professors and state lawmakers have begun to discuss the legality of using race as a factor in admissions decisions.

In addition to race, the new policy allows admissions officers to consider student experiences, leadership qualities, community service, veteran and socio-economic status in addition to the traditional criteria of GPA, class rank and ACT scores.

The statues in contention include statue 36.11 (3)(a), which says no test based upon "race, religion, national origin of U.S. citizens or sex shall ever be allowed in the admission of students."

And statue 36.12 (1) says students cannot be denied admission or discriminated against because of a student's "race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status or parental status."

However, the UW System argued that the revised freshman admissions policy is indeed valid under the U.S. Supreme Court case Grutter v. Bollinger, which gave the University of Michigan the ability to allow race to be a factor in admissions.

In a letter to the Board of Regents obtained by The Badger Herald, state Sen. Kathleen Vinehout, D-Alma, said she supports the policy, adding "the value in considering a student's larger record" without any question as to its legality.

In terms of the policy, UW political science professor Howard Schweber said he does not believe it violates any law because it is impossible to say a student did not get into a particular college because of one specific factor such as race.

"The general issue here is there is an attitude that is pervasive that getting into college is a reward," Schweber said. "The student who does the right thing by getting good grades and scoring high ACT scores deserves to get in."

Schweber said colleges do not admit students for their rewards, but rather, colleges admit students as an "investment" in their schools. Schweber added the "investment" could be any quality that adds to the university and it is impossible to specifically pinpoint what that quality might be.

However, state Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, said he believes this is a violation of the State Statutes referring to the admissions policy as an example of how the Board of Regents engages in "social engineering" rather than "reform."

Suder responded to Board of Regents President David Walsh's comment that the admission policy is a reaction to the Supreme Court and said, "the regents are clearly using any case … that is race-based" to their advantage.

"From my standpoint, that is problematic," Suder added.

UW professor emeritus Lee Hansen said the language of the statues makes it clear there should be no discrimination, and allowing race to be the deciding factor in the admissions policy is a form of discrimination.

Hansen added he hopes that representatives like state Rep. Stephen Nass, R-Whitewater, ask state Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen to determine whether race in the admissions policy is legal.