Report praises state’s study abroad options

The University of Wisconsin-Madison and other state universities boast some of the nation's best study abroad programs, according to a report released last week.

Among all American doctoral and research institutions, UW-Madison ranked No. 11 in the Open Doors 2006 report released by the Institute of International Development, while three other UW schools placed in the top 20 in the masters institutions category.

Rob Howell, director of international academic programs at UW-Madison, said students here continue to realize the importance of studying abroad.

"Obviously, it's a global world," Howell said. "Global competence is really a necessary thing — it's something that contributes to [a student's] overall portfolio."

IID Director of Membership and Higher Education Services Daniel Obst agreed, saying studying abroad is, in a way, a "résumé builder."

"More U.S. students are interested and aware of globalization compared to the rest of the world," Obst said. "Students are realizing the importance of cultural skills to be successful."

Howell said, though, that the Open Doors report also includes students who participate in short-term study abroad — which can sometimes last only two or three weeks — which is why UW-Madison is not ranked even higher in the report.

"We have a very strong emphasis on long-term programs," Howell said. "We really believe that longer term programs really do a much better job in terms of gaining fluency and getting to know the culture — it's not a 'drive-through' program."

And recently, Obst added, more students are spending time studying in countries like India and China rather than Europe, a more traditional destination.
In addition, Obst said the number of Wisconsin students who receive scholarships to study abroad enhances the ability for students to participate. According to Obst, 29 students received Fulbright grants last year and 11 earned Gilman Scholarships.

Karl Markgraf, director for the Center for International Education at UW-Eau Claire, which ranked No. 14 in the masters institutions category, said the tradition of a strong number of study abroad students at Eau Claire dates back decades.

"It's absolutely critical for Americans, in particular, given our prominence in world politics and global affairs, to begin to appreciate the differences throughout the world," he said.

Markgraf said the position the United States holds in the world as the "center of the power of global issues" adds to the need for students to experience other languages and cultures.

And Howell, Obst and Markgraf all said study abroad programs will continue to grow both nationally and in Wisconsin.

"The UW System — all the universities — have some very exciting things happening," Markgraf said. "Things are really moving in positive directions. If you sat back and looked, it's pretty impressive — the growth that's taking place."

After the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Howell said nobody really knew the direction study abroad would go. However, in the five years since, more and more students have signed up to study overseas.

"I don't really expect globalization to go into reverse," Howell added. "I think that the number of students who recognize this is an important thing to do will continue to increase."

In addition to UW-Eau Claire, UW-Stevens Point and UW-La Crosse cracked the top 20 in the masters institutions category, ranking No. 16 and No. 17 respectively.