Orpheum may get boost

[media-credit name=’Herald file photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]orpheum_Filephoto[/media-credit]Even after the Madison Orpheum Theatre's recent renovation, some downtown residents think the building needs refurbishing and plan to hold a fundraiser to restore the building's original outdoor marquees.

The steady dilapidation of the Orpheum Theatre has led individuals such as Kris Warren, director of TV development at Wonderland Sound and Vision in Madison, to worry about the future of the State Street monument and its value to future downtown residents.

"[The Orpheum] signifies a different time in Madison," Warren said. "And for the Orpheum to be a part of downtown, it's kind of a symbol from our past."

After noticing the Orpheum's decay while growing up in Madison and attending the University of Wisconsin, Warren has opened a fundraiser in order to restore the Orpheum, specifically the outdoor signs visible to pedestrians.

The fundraiser, titled "Relight the Marquee," will take place Dec. 12 and will use all proceeds to refurbish the Orpheum's original marquees. The fundraiser will also include a reception and an auction, followed by an advanced viewing of the upcoming film "We Are Marshall."

Michelle Martin, board member for the Madison Trust for Historic Preservation, said she hopes to see a large turnout at the fundraising event.

"This fundraiser is going to be a very fun and exciting event," Martin said. "And it's going to be something very important for the history of Madison."

According to Martin, the Orpheum's original marquees were built in 1927 and were both prominently lit. But after 89 years of use, she said the vertical marquee has been stripped down and is now just a painted piece of metal, while the horizontal marquee is the original from 1927.

Warren said he hopes to relight the vertical marquee and refurbish the horizontal one in order to bring the Orpheum back to its original splendor. The total estimated cost of the refurbishment will be anywhere between $130,000 and $200,000, he added.

"We're selling tickets and having a silent auction," Warren said. "And beyond that, we're going to individuals and businesses along with the arts community and preservation committee in order to make it a landmark that everyone can be proud of."

He also said that many of these old theaters like the Orpheum are being torn down across the nation. Instead of taking Madison's history away from its citizens, Warren reasons, residents should instead preserve it for future generations.

Martin also said the continuation of Madison's historical monuments should be kept in check, and she added that by bringing back the former glory of the Orpheum, residents are helping to ensure the continued support of all historical landmarks in Madison.

And with the Orpheum's refurbishment just around the corner, Warren said he hopes to see a very long and fruitful life for the State Street icon.

"A lot of cities just let these palaces get torn down," he said. "And I'm hoping Madison won't allow that to happen."