Labor group to give thanks

In further efforts to garner appreciation for people working on the University of Wisconsin campus, Student Labor Action Coalition is declaring today Campus Worker Appreciation Day. But not all campus workers condone SLAC's efforts.

According to a SLAC press release, there will be a display honoring campus workers on Bascom Hill today and group members will distribute "thank you" cards to people working in University Housing, the Wisconsin Union, Recreational Sports, University Health Services and academic buildings.

SLAC backed the Living Wage initiative, which passed in the Associated Students of Madison elections last month and expressed support for granting student workers Madison's living wage. Living wage is an hourly rate determined by city officials that is considered to be sufficient to support a family of four. Living wage is currently $10.23 per hour in Madison, but come January will be adjusted to match the federal living wage of $10.62 an hour.

"All campus workers, whether LTE's, students or full-time staff, deserve to be treated with respect, but also to be thanked for the work that they do," SLAC member Molly Glasgow said in the release. "I hope that, one day, on this campus workers will have the recognition and respect they deserve every day."

However, UW junior Josh Siebert, who works at the South East Recreational Facility, said he does not feel disrespected as a campus worker and does not think people working at the SERF should earn living wage. However, Siebert said he appreciates the recognition from Campus Worker Appreciation Day.

"I can definitely see how a lot of campus employees are taken for granted … in food service and janitorial," Siebert said. "I would definitely consider working for Rec. Sports one of the better-treated jobs on campus."