City Council signs off on ’07 Capital Budget

[media-credit name=’RAY PFEIFFER/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]CityCouncil_RP[/media-credit]Madison's City Council met for the second time in as many nights Wednesday to discuss remaining budget amendments awaiting approval, ultimately accepting the Capital Budget in a 15-4 vote.

Ald. Ken Golden, District 10, said the second meeting contained just as much debate but also contained a lot more focus.

"I don't think I've ever participated in a budget debate that was this volatile," Golden said. "We need to start acting as a city, and we need to act with more continuity."

One topic that had been highly debated Tuesday night made an encore appearance when opponents of the elimination of funding for James Madison Park brought the amendment back for further scrutiny.

Golden and Ald. Zach Brandon, District 7, successfully reversed a Tuesday agreement denying the park $1.2 million in renovation funds. The new amendment includes a clause that approves the spending of $200,000 in park renovations for 2007, while delaying the approval of the remaining $1 million until 2008.

"We'll sell the land, we'll put it in the account it belongs in and we'll wait to decide what to do with that money at a later date," Brandon said.

A $90,000 amendment to create an "arts incubator" was brought to the table and eventually failed in an 11-8 vote. The amendment would have supported local artists around Madison by creating a location where they could practice their particular talents in the public view.

The council also discussed an amendment supporting the funding for a contested mid-State Street parking ramp. Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the council agreed to keep the possibility open of building the ramp as a mixed-use facility, but would not include funds for the ramp in the budget.

Funding for the possible expansion of a downtown park was also discussed and eventually placed on file for later debate. The parks department would use the funding to build either a basketball court or green space for a possible senior-citizen center.

The council agreed that debate on the funding will continue at a later date, after officials have finalized their plans for the park.

"I frankly think this is the appropriate place for a park," Golden said. "But I would rather leave the planning to the officials and trust their sound judgments."

Ald. Lauren Cnare, District 3, brought the amendment addressing water safety to the council's attention, and at first found scattered support.

The amendment contains two parts, each of which has its own financial advantages and disadvantages to improve water quality in the city. One possibility was the expenditure of money to buy a better filter, while the second idea was to dig an entirely new well for the area.

"I think that no matter what, we'll solve this issue," Brandon said. "We just want them to thoroughly investigate the quality of the well; we would rather they didn't just tell us that a filter would solve everything."

The council decided to place the amendment on file until the well is properly tested and other possible areas to dig a new well are investigated.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz's Capital Budget was accepted, but the council still held concerns over the amendments and money spent.

"Just keep in mind that everything we do does have a cost," Ald. Robbie Webber, District 5, said. "And physically expanding the city … does also add to the Capital Budget in a significant way."

The city's operating budget was lightly discussed Wednesday night, and discussion will continue tonight.