State focusing on world learning

Universities statewide are recognizing International Education Week, celebrating the importance of international studies in today's world.

At their meeting Friday, the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents formally recognized the week, which was developed in 2000 by the U.S. Education and State Departments.

Regent President David Walsh read a proclamation by Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle at the meeting and added international education is becoming continually important in an ever-changing world.

"The purpose is to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange," Walsh said, encouraging students to participate in a study-abroad program.

The regents' Education Committee heard from two students Thursday, one from Wisconsin who studied in Germany and the other an international student who came to UW.

Education Committee Chair Danae Davis told the full board she was impressed with these students.

"We know [these students] will be outstanding once they've completed their education," Davis said.

Davis added that between 1999 and 2005, the study abroad program in Wisconsin doubled, and growth was especially high in Milwaukee, where the program increased 127 percent.

Much of the effort to expand Wisconsin's study abroad programs began in the mid-1990s under former Republican Gov. Tommy Thompson, according to former Regent Robert Axtell.

"We said now's the time to internationalize education," Axtell said. "We've got to prepare our young people for our inheritance. We've got to internationalize their minds because the future is in an international economy."

UW System academic planner Melissa Kepner agreed, saying the world is becoming smaller and smaller due to technological advances. Therefore, she added, it is essential for various cultures to interact with each other.

"We will be working with people from other cultures more and more," Kepner said. "It's important for people to understand and know and appreciate other cultures."

Axtell said the increasing number of study-abroad students should now lead to an increase in faculty teaching abroad, bringing their new ideas back to students.

"I can say confidently that [study abroad] is not only alive and well, but it's growing," Axtell said. "My next goal would be faculty abroad, because one faculty member or one high school teacher coming back can influence 20 to 30 students at a time — it's the domino effect."

Saying great progress has been made in internationalizing education in the past 10 years, Axtell added that much of the growth was due to encouragement from the Board of Regents and Thompson.

Meanwhile, there are a number of events being planned on the UW-Madison campus this week involving study abroad, mostly hosted by the UW-Madison Division of International Studies.

Ronnie Hess, the division's communications director, said speaking a foreign language and studying abroad are necessary in today's world.

"Accelerating internationalization is one of the campus' strategic priorities," Hess said. "It's extremely important … that our students become more mindful."

Walsh said there are 5,500 international students at UW System institutions, private colleges and technical colleges around the state every year, while 5,900 UW Students study abroad annually.

However, Axtell said private colleges are well ahead of the UW System, as over half of students from colleges such as Lawrence and St. Norbert study overseas, while only 11 percent of UW students do.

International Education Week in Wisconsin lasts through Friday, Nov. 17.