Catholic group sues university

Charges of religious discrimination are bringing several members of the University of Wisconsin System and the UW-Madison administration to federal court.

The UW Roman Catholic Foundation filed a lawsuit against 17 members of the UW System Board of Regents, UW System President Kevin Reilly and four UW administrators Thursday, accusing the defendants of violating the First Amendment rights of UWRCF by making efforts not to fund the organization based on its religious focus.

The four UW-Madison administrators on the list of defendants include Chancellor John Wiley, Interim Dean of Students Lori Berquam, Associate Dean of Students Elton Crim and Director of the Student Organization Office Yvonne Fangmeyer.

UWRCF spokesperson Tim Kruse said the university has discriminated against his organization for four years, the latest incident being the recent regulation requiring a group to be a registered student organization as a precondition to receiving student-segregated fee funding from the Student Services Finance Committee. Kruse said the university implemented that policy with the sole purpose of keeping UWRCF — which was not a RSO — from being funded.

"We could tell we were being discriminated against, but we didn't know our rights," Kruse said, explaining why UWRCF waited four years to sue the university in federal court. "We met with the chancellor directly; we met with SSFC ad nauseam; we wrote the dean of students office ad nauseam and got nowhere — so it was just a matter of trying every other possible avenue of relief before we actually went to federal court."

Berquam said she was surprised to learn UWRCF filed the lawsuit, but that it makes sense because she knew UWRCF was frustrated with SSFC's funding decision.

The RSO policy recently implemented at UW-Madison is UW System policy that UW-Madison had not been adhering to before.

"The bigger question is does system policy violate their rights," Berquam said. "What's hard here is the whole question of should student monies be used for religious things … and what do our students want their resources, their monies, going toward?"

Kruse said the case UWRCF is using audio files, written documents and testimony from people within the university to make its case.

UWRCF is not trying to keep the university from collecting student-segregated fees, according to Kruse, but rather asserting that the university cannot collect segregated fees while treating UWRCF differently than other student organizations.

"We wouldn't have filed it if we didn't have a very strong confidence that we are in the right," Kruse said, adding that more than 400 faculty and staff at UW have gone through UWRCF. "It's not like everyone on the inside [of UW] are rooting for the university."

Kruse said the four UW administrators on the list of defendants were charged because they all took "an active role in advocating discrimination" against UWRCF or put forth efforts to marginalize its funding.

Members of SSFC — all of whom are students — also contributed to the alleged discrimination according to Kruse, but UWRCF decided to "forgive them because of their age."

However, SSCF Chair Zach Frey said UWRCF could not include SSFC in the list of defendants because SSFC merely makes suggestions to the Associated Students of Madison Student Council regarding budget decisions, and the Student Council passes those suggestions on to the chancellor, who then reports to the Board of Regents for the final decision.

"I would say that we're trying to comply with system policies and regent policies," Frey said. "And as long as we're meeting those requirements, I don't think that it would be possible or make any sense."

SSFC is scheduled to hear UWRCF's budget at the committee's meeting tonight. UWRCF will also be requesting "contract group status" tonight, according to Frey.

Contract status would allow UWRCF to hire employees outside the university and receive funding from student-segregated fees.