Judiciary hears suit against union initiative

Despite signing off on the Associated Students of Madison elections two weeks ago, Student Judiciary was forced to revisit the Student Union Initiative after calls for the election results to be thrown out.

Six members of ASM filed a complaint against the Student Election Commission last Tuesday, calling for the Student Union Initiative election results to be nullified. The plaintiffs alleged that Student Union Initiative members misled the student body with vague advertising.

UW junior Alex Statza, a petitioner against SEC, said he was involved in the case because the ASM election seemed unfair.

"I think it is important that someone stand up for people that think it was an unfair election,"

Statza said.

Patrick Elliot, also a petitioner against SEC, said he was seeking the dismissal of the Student Union Initiative because UW students were misled about the effect of voting "No."

Elliot was also concerned about the wording of the initiative and said a successful counter campaign could not be run because of the amount of money involved in the Student Union Initiative campaign.

Elliot also said he thought the application of student-segregated fees to a construction project was unfair, as the funds would be used to cover renovations of Memorial Union and the construction of a new Union South as part of the initiative.

"The purpose of segregated fees is to provide opportunities for students while they're here," Elliot said. "The purpose of segregated fees is not to put money down for a future building project."

However, Chief Justice Josh Tyack disagreed and said segregated fees can be used for building projects like the Student Union Initiative.

Elliot also said he had an issue with the money used to support the SUI advertising campaign, which was funded by the Memorial Building Association, and added there was no way an effective counter campaign could have been run.

When Student Justice Sol Grosskopf asked whether Elliot campaigned against the Student Union Initiative, Elliot said he did not have the resources to start a Registered Student Organization quickly enough.

"I started a Facebook group," Elliot said.

UW senior and Wisconsin Union Directorate Vice President Kristina Mueller spoke on behalf of SEC and said it was difficult for SEC to determine what charges were being brought against it.

"Examining the complaint in its entirety, SEC is only named once," Mueller said. "At no point is the conduct of the SEC questioned."

UW senior and Wisconsin Union President Shayna Hetzel also spoke on behalf of the Student Election Commission, and not as a member of the Student Union Initiative.

Hetzel said she thought the complaint was against the content of the Student Union Initiative, rather than the actions of the SEC. The petition was "unclear and misguided," she added, and dismissed some of the petitioners' claims as "hearsay."

"Tonight is not about the content of the Student Union Initiative," Hetzel said. "We are here to discuss the role of the SEC and its capacity to run a fair election."

SJ will rule on this case within five school days.