SLAC pushes for new vote

While this semester's University of Wisconsin Associated Students of Madison election originally seemed to end successfully, the Student Labor Action Coalition is now calling the results into question.

The labor group filed a complaint against the ASM Student Election Commission Monday demanding the election results be thrown out and a new vote be conducted.

Though unrelated, the move follows an earlier contention of results by ASM members who allege the Student Union Initiative referendum was conducted unfairly.

SLAC member Mark Supanich said this semester's elections were not accessible enough to students and, therefore, should be recalled.

"What's important here is the facts of the case," Supanich said. "Voters who wanted to vote were unable to, and it's important in any election that it be as fair and transparent and accessible as possible."

Supanich said if ASM held a re-vote, the results would reflect those of last spring's voided elections, in which the Living Wage initiative passed and the Student Union Initiative failed.

However, Supanich said, SLAC's motives are centered around ensuring a fair election process and have nothing to do with SLAC's expressed disapproval of the Student Union Initiative.

Student Judiciary Chief Justice Josh Tyack said it is common for SEC to be involved in several lawsuits after an election, and the pattern does not imply anything about the ASM election process.

In fact, Tyack said, there have been fewer complaints filed this year than were filed last spring.

"It doesn't really say anything specific about the running of the election — just something about the fact that there are issues that people voted on that people care about passionately," Tyack said.

In an e-mail to The Badger Herald, ASM Chair Dylan Rath said a re-vote would be frustrating, but that will not keep SJ from objectively reviewing the case. Rath added that any alleged discrepancies with ASM bylaws must not be overlooked.

"SLAC is very serious about getting fair results," Rath said. "ASM will consider the group's election complaints seriously, as we would for any other group."

Supanich said he was "a big fan" of the computerized voting system that was used in past ASM elections. He acknowledged the problems ASM encountered last semester with electronic voting, but said "those can be resolved."

If SLAC wins their case against SEC, which is being heard Wednesday, Nov. 8, Supanich said it would want a re-vote to be held as soon as an election that would be accessible for any student who wants to vote could be held.

"If it can't be done with electronic voting, we want to see more polling places more equitably distributed among campus and more days and times that polls are open," Supanich said.

Rath said he is well aware of SLAC's discontent with paper ballot ASM elections, and that increasing voter turnout and implementing a new electronic voting system will be priorities in the spring ASM elections.

SEC Chair Leah Moe failed to return phone calls as of press time.