Tenant Resource Center sues ASM branch

Following controversy earlier this year over new funding eligibility guidelines, the Tenant Resource Center has filed a lawsuit against the Associated Students of Madison's Student Services Finance Committee.

The Tenant Resource Center is a non-profit agency that provides information and referral services on tenant and landlord rights and responsibilities.

According to SSFC Secretary Jackie Goessl, the lawsuit — filed with ASM's Student Judicary — is a result of the committee's prior decision to deny the resource center eligibility, thereby preventing them from being funded with student-segregated fees.

SSFC denied eligibility because the resource center is not a Registered Student Organization, one of the primary requirements for receiving student-segregated fee funding.

Both Leah Moe, chair of the ASM Student Election Commission, and Josh Tyack, chief justice of the Student Judiciary, were unable to comment on the pending case — which will be heard next Tuesday — because they are on the panel of judges to hear it.

The hearing is tentatively scheduled for Oct. 30.

After a brief discussion of the lawsuit Monday, SSFC heard three budget proposals and approved a budget for WSUM Radio with little debate.

The committee signed off on nearly $308,000 for WSUM, which depends entirely on student-segregated fees and outside donations.

Vice Chair Kellie Sanders, along with a majority of the committee, said the station's budget proposal was clear and understandable.

"I feel that this is a really well put-together budget," Sanders said. "I feel like they've fully justified every staff position."

UW senior and WSUM station manager Michelle Koffel said she was enthusiastic about the committee's budget decision.

"I'm incredibly pleased; it's wonderful," Koffel said. "WSUM has always worked very hard to have a responsible and transparent budget, and it's nice to see that everything went so well tonight."

The approval of the WSUM budget proposal was the only decision made by SSFC Monday. Three other budget proposals were heard and budget decisions for those organizations are set for a meeting this Thursday.

Among the groups on tap for discussion is the Adventure Learning Programs' proposal, which amounted to over $120,000. ALP is a student organization that hosts team-building workshops that are used by other student organizations on campus.

The group's budget request is higher than the amount it asked for last year, and it is seeking nearly $80,000 to go toward salaries for hired positions.

"We are requesting an increase to be sure we are able to continue to provide our unique services to campus." ALP facilitator Molly North said.

The LGBT Campus Center also proposed a budget Monday night, asking for just over $115,000 for the upcoming school year. The campus center provides social, educational and research services concerning issues in the LGBT community to the UW campus.

UW junior and LGBT "web mistress" Chris Daniels said the center offers crucial services.

"We offer a mentoring program — a bunch of support programs include HIV, bisexuality [and] coming-out support groups," Daniels said.

UW junior Brad Schmock, the student programs director for LGBTCC, said a small portion of its funding is allocated by the chancellor, and the rest is funded by student-segregated fees.

Finally, FH King Students of Sustainable Agriculture requested substantially less — just $11,000 — to promote and expand sustainable agriculture within the university and beyond, according to group President Caroline Brock. The group maintains an organic garden in Eagle Heights, which provides students with gardening and farm management experience.