Wiley touts campus construction plans

[media-credit name=’RAY PFEIFFER/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Chancellor_RP[/media-credit]University of Wisconsin Chancellor John Wiley discussed campus construction concerns at a luncheon with colleagues at the University Club Tuesday.

Wiley briefly detailed the future design of the UW campus and possible achievements that may result from the physical change.

"We have right now, probably the most comprehensive master plan for the campus that this campus has ever had," Wiley said. "Instead of thinking of what new buildings we might like to have and finding places to stick them, we started with blank paper."

The campus plan, according to Wiley, will create more green space and a new center of campus around the Humanities building and the Student Activity Center, which is currently being built where University Square used to be. Wiley assured listeners that the area of campus is the last for renovation because it is the most difficult to renovate — not because it is the least important.

The construction plans suggest the eventual rebuilding of the Humanities building, as well as many other large-scale projects in that area of campus.

"We've still got a long way to go on the fundraising," Wiley said. "But you can be confident that it will happen."

The chancellor expressed great excitement regarding the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery, which is slated for completion by 2010. The institutes are expected to serve as a research center and social meeting place for UW students.

Marsha Sehler, the director of business management for Uihlein Wilson Architects — one of the firms chosen to be a part of the project in September — said in a previous interview with The Badger Herald that she believes the institutes will have a prominent impact on UW and Wisconsin as a whole.

"I am thrilled beyond what I can even explain to you," Sehler said. "We believe it's important in terms of the science. We believe it's important in terms of what it means to the state of Wisconsin … and it's thrilling to be a part of that."

Wiley concluded the luncheon with optimistic predictions for the university.

"The things that are going to be possible are absolutely mind-blowing," Wiley said. "In fact they are limited only by our imaginations."

–Joanna Pliner contributed to this article.