Doyle, Green square off in Milwaukee

During their second debate held in Milwaukee Friday, gubernatorial candidates Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle and U.S. Rep. Mark Green, R-Wis., outlined stark contrasts in their platforms, most clearly differing on social issues.

Apart from reiterating their opposing rhetoric on taxes and the state budget, the candidates discussed contentious issues such as abortion, stem-cell research, gun control and the hiring of controversial University of Wisconsin lecturer Kevin Barrett during an hour-long debate at the Discovery World Museum.

Doyle brought up both abortion and stem-cell research in his opening statement, and said the abortion issue indicated a "very fundamental difference" between the two candidates.

"I believe very strongly that women should be able to make their own, most personal choices, and it shouldn't be politicians that make those decisions," Doyle said. "[W]hich one of us is governor is going to make a huge difference to what the rights of women are in this state."

Green said he is "compassionately pro-life" and opposes abortion but wants to offer women alternatives.

He added he believes "too many women believe abortion is a safety net" when it is "too often a safety hazard."

But Doyle said Green would take away a woman's right to choose.

"Congressman Green does not even agree that even in cases of rape, incest or the health of the mother she should have those choices," Doyle said.

The debate shifted also to stem-cell research, which was pioneered in 1998 by UW biotechnology professor James Thomson, the first person to successfully isolate human embryonic stem cells.

"There will be no turning back after the vote on Nov. 7," Doyle said. "This is something the rest of the country and the rest of the world is looking to Wisconsin for our leadership."

In addition, Doyle said Green "would shut that research down."

"[L]eading scientists say they would begin looking other places if Congressman Green were governor," Doyle said.

Yet Green said he supports stem-cell research, but that it should not involve the destruction of "living human embryos" or therapeutic cloning. Green added he voted to double funding for stem-cell research while in Congress.

Though researchers have been unable to produce embryonic stem cells without destroying the embryos, some scientists contend the technology is possible. In support of researching such technology, Green has promised to provide $25 million in state funding if elected.

"This isn't junk science; it's promising science," he said.
In regard to the death penalty advisory referendum appearing on the November ballot, the candidates again disagreed. The referendum is intended to be a guide for state lawmakers to allow juries to have the option of imposing the death penalty on those convicted of first-degree intentional homicide supported by DNA evidence.

Green said he supports allowing juries to have the option, while Doyle said based on his experience as a prosecutor he was against using such punishment.

However, Green and Doyle did agree on a few issues Friday.

Both criticized last week's proposal by Rep. Frank Lasee, R-Bellevue, to allow teachers and other school staff to carry guns at school.

Despite recent school violence around the country and in the state — including the fatal shooting of a principal in Cazenovia Sept. 29 — the candidates agreed the proposal would not increase school safety.

Doyle said each school should develop its own safety plan, adding parents and school officials should encourage "a culture in those schools where kids come forward."
And Green said, "I believe Rep. Lasee is well-intentioned, but I don't agree with that approach."
Both also said UW should have fired Kevin Barrett — who lectures the course Islam: Religion and Culture this fall — citing his belief that the U.S. government orchestrated the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
"[I]t's not because of his beliefs, but that he lacks basic scholarly competence," Green said, while noting he feels Barrett's viewpoints on 9/11 are outlandish.
Doyle agreed, but added UW officials rather than politicians should make decisions about hiring and firing university personnel.

The debate Friday was sponsored by the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association, which did not invite Green Party candidate Nelson Eisman. Eisman, a former Dane County supervisor, was not invited to the other two gubernatorial debates this year, either.

In an interview with The Badger Herald, Eisman said he was appalled that politics in the United States has become a two-party system dependent on corporate money.

"I've never heard of politics becoming like this, but this is happening all over the country," he said. "What it means is if you don't take those corporate donations and you don't have millions [of dollars] to run a public campaign, you have no access to debates."

The third and final debate before the Nov. 7 election will be sponsored by We the People/Wisconsin and held Oct. 20 in La Crosse.