Pro-Life Wisconsin mourns dead fetuses

Pro-Life Wisconsin supporters gathered at seven sites around the state Monday to honor Pro-Life Memorial Day, an annual day of remembrance for fetuses lost through abortion.

The event began last year, in conjunction with the national American Life League, to coincide with the first Monday in October, when the U.S. Supreme Court session opens.

According to Marc Tuttle, communications director for Pro-Life Wisconsin, the American Life League organized on the steps of the U.S. Supreme Court Monday to bring attention to the landmark cases that legalized abortion in the United States in 1973, Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton.

"The question in [the two cases] was a question of 'personhood,' and whether pre-born life hit that threshold of legal protection," Tuttle said. "[Fetuses] are human beings, and if they are left to grow under normal circumstances, they would have the chance … to develop into adults."

Tuttle added most polls have found about 47 million have died since the legalization of abortion.

The pro-life vigils in Wisconsin were mostly held at Planned Parenthood centers across the state, and attracted an average of 20 people each.

"Our prayer vigils are designed to bring about remembrance, and service attendees also sometimes build monuments of teddy bears and stuffed animals to personalize abortion," Tuttle said. "The vigils are mostly held by church groups, with the most support from local Catholic parishes."

Pro-life groups around the nation also observe Jan. 22 as the anniversary of the controversial case titled Roe v. Wade. It was on that date when the Supreme Court declared unconstitutional, by a 7-2 vote, a Texas law prohibiting abortion except for the purpose of saving the woman's life.

And Pro-Choice groups are also concerned with the Roe decision, given the new composition of the Supreme Court.

"Roe v. Wade could certainly be overturned, and then abortion would be criminalized in Wisconsin in nearly every circumstance," said Kelda Roys, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin. "It's something we are very concerned about, even more than protecting a woman's right to choose."

Roys added Pro-Choice Wisconsin and Madison Ald. Zach Brandon, District 7, have together created an ordinance they hope to enact to make emergency contraception more accessible in the city.

"We did a survey and found a quarter of Madison pharmacies don't stock emergency contraception and women would have to shop around until they found it," Roys said. "Emergency contraception is very time sensitive, so this ordinance is especially important for students who don't have access to transportation."

According to Roys, the ordinance would require any pharmacy that doesn't stock emergency contraception to post a notice detailing the nearest place to find it.

"It's a very common sense approach to increasing access," Roys added. "Hopefully it will not result in a bunch of signs, but that pharmacies will realize how important emergency contraception is and stock it."

Tuttle declined comment on the ordinance or whether his organization would get involved.

Brandon is set to propose the ordinance at the Common Council meeting Tuesday.