ASM limits travel money

The Associated Students of Madison Student Council discussed voter pre-registration initiatives and student organization travel funding Wednesday evening. There was also debate about the most recent results of the new funding eligibility requirements.

At Wednesday's meeting, a resolution was approved that will allow the Student Services Finance Committee to allocate no more than $400 per student organization in travel money for the fall semester.

"The resolution shows that we're all looking at student-segregated fees, and we want to make sure that we're responsible with it," ASM Vice Chair Gestina Sewell said in an interview. "The $400 cap, while it may seem small at first, will be beneficial in the long run."

The meeting also reviewed developments in the ASM voter pre-registration initiative, VOTE 2006. Many events are being planned by the VOTE 2006 special committee — including pre-registration of voters, with the support of Bucky Badger, in Library Mall during the week of Oct. 2.

Another upcoming event is the "Get the Scoop and Vote" event, which will include voter registration and free ice cream, possibly scooped by University of Wisconsin Chancellor John Wiley. Pre-registration for voters ends Oct. 18.

ASM members also discussed recent changes in eligibility requirements.

As a result of the newest changes in eligibility requirements, the SSFC decided earlier this month to cut funding for the Diversity Education Program this term. The most significant change, according to SSFC Chair Zach Frey, is the requirement that organizations applying for funding must be registered student organizations.

"The requirement was added in order to bring it in line with university policy and to make sure that organizations [the SSFC] is funding are student run and that students have input in the organizations," Frey said.

Frey added that funding for the DEP was cut this fall because the board felt that it was "exclusionary to students." Although the program's main focus is students, it is primarily run and supported by professionals, with the exception of three students on an advisory board.

Several motions regarding ASM appointments were also approved by the council, including two finance at-large appointments, five associate justice appointments and two SSFC at-large appointments.