Thompson to face 18 months

A federal judge in Milwaukee sentenced former State Department of Administration Manager Georgia Thompson to 18 months in prison Friday for steering a state contract to a company whose officials donated to Gov. Jim Doyle.

U.S. District Judge Rudolph Randa also ordered a $4,000 fine and three years of supervised release following Thompson's prison term. The ruling followed review of requests from Thompson lawyer Stephen P. Hurley that Thompson be allowed probation, as well as requests from Assistant U.S. Attorney Scott Campbell, who argued for 21 months in prison.

"The very reason that this case has gotten attention is the very reason why a just sentence — a deterring sentence — is needed in this case," Campbell said at the trial. "A lenient sentence — a sentence of probation — will send the message that the federal courts in Wisconsin don't take corruption like this seriously."

But Randa also reviewed a request by Hurley that Thompson be allowed to remain free until her appeal is decided. Randa said he will issue his decision in about two weeks. If denied her lawyer's request, Thompson must report to a federal prison Nov. 27.
A federal jury convicted Thompson in June of two felony counts for causing a misapplication of funds and defrauding the state of the right to honest services, for which she faced up to 20 years in prison. The contract in question provided a three-year, $750,000 "travel partner" deal to handle travel arrangements for state employees, which Thompson and a team of evaluators awarded to Milwaukee-based Adelman Travel. The jury found Adelman would not have been awarded the contract if Thompson had not manipulated the process. Following the initial controversy, Doyle canceled the contract.

But Rick Wiley, executive director of the Republican Party of Wisconsin, said along with canceling the contract, Doyle should also return the $20,000 of contributions from Adelman executives.

"One woman is going to prison because of this cash, and Doyle still is not willing to part with his tainted money," he said. "While she remains an example for those who would rig the system to benefit campaign donors, the voters of Wisconsin will cast the final verdict on Jim Doyle's pay-to-play and dirty politics."

Yet Doyle's office has said the governor should not have to return the money because Thompson acted alone and without any outside pressure. And Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Joe Wineke said that no evidence to imply otherwise has been presented, stressing that Thompson was not affiliated with Doyle.

"Georgia Thompson was a mid-level career civil servant who was appointed by the prior administration of Republican Gov. Scott McCallum," Wineke said. "And when Thompson was found guilty, Gov. Doyle immediately instructed the Department of Administration to terminate her employment."

Campbell and the state Department of Justice are still investigating whether Thompson acted alone or at the direction of Doyle appointees.

Doyle to announce renewable energy plan

In other news, Doyle is set to announce a plan today to invest $80 million to encourage the development and use of renewable energy.

Doyle will make the announcement at Madison Area Technical College, where he will also award the school a $20,000 state grant to fund initial costs for a new laboratory that will test and certify solar panels.

The new plan includes $50 million in loans to companies expanding their use and production of renewable fuels and energy, tax credits to encourage more gas stations to use ethanol-based gasoline and millions of dollars in grants for energy researchers.

Doyle also plans to set aside $5 million to start the nation's first plant to produce cellulosic ethanol, which could be made from leftover forest and timber materials.