Covenant plan hits skepticism

An extensive student financial aid plan signed by Gov. Jim Doyle and state leaders in higher education Wednesday would open the opportunity for many more students to attend college, but it is receiving skepticism from Republicans.

The signed memorandum of understanding is for the proposed Wisconsin Covenant, a pledge made by eighth-grade students to graduate high school, maintain a 3.0 grade point average, take a college-preparatory curriculum, and stay out of trouble in exchange for full tuition assistance to any Wisconsin college or university, public or private.

"Given the struggles of many of Wisconsin's families and students, it's a start in the right direction," said Doug Bradley, communications director for the University of Wisconsin System. "Knowing their tuition and fees are taken care of, a substantial number of students not even considering college now will have the opportunity to go."

Bradley added the plan is estimated to require about $10 million in funds after programs like work-study and federal financial aid — as well as private donations — are accounted for. Doyle's office said a number of bases have been met to provide the enactment of the Covenant.

"The governor has doubled financial aid and balanced the budget to put the state in a position to get this done," Matt Canter, communications director for Doyle, said. "Money will also come from state revenue growth seen in the last four years."

The first class to be affected would be the high school class of 2011, which has enrolled about 75,000 eighth-grade students. On average, a third of Wisconsin high school graduates enroll in UW System schools and about half of all graduates enroll in some sort of Wisconsin higher-education institution each year.

Yet Luke Punzenberger, spokesperson for Republican gubernatorial candidate Mark Green's campaign, focused on recent increases in tuition under Doyle as undermining the proposed Covenant.

"Under Jim Doyle's watch, tuition for Wisconsin students has ballooned by 50 percent, while tuition for out-of-state students has actually decreased," he said. "Jim Doyle has disqualified himself from any discussion on increasing the affordability and accessibility of our UW System."

Punzenberger added that Green plans to unveil a new program today in Appleton. The plan will detail changes Green would propose for UW schools, as he aims to make the UW System more accessible for Wisconsin residents, Punzenberger said.

Despite criticism, Lori Berquam, UW's interim dean of students, noted an importance in keeping residents in the state for post-secondary education, even if they do not necessarily stay in Wisconsin after graduation.

"Being educated in our state is the same as giving back to our state," she said. "Students in the state give back in valuable contributions through student teaching or internships."

And the hope of Covenant supporters is that the pledge will encourage students to "keep their noses clean" and give back to the state before they reach college, as well. Students would be held accountable by principals, homeroom teachers or guidance counselors.

"Through the Covenant, we are hoping kids will be engaged in civic effort in their school or community to display citizenship," Bradley said.

Doyle plans to introduce the Covenant in his biennial budget, where it must then pass the state Legislature and be signed by the governor, who will be determined in the Nov. 7 general election.