Market returns to Capitol

Vendors from around the Madison community will gather together to mark the beginning of spring when the Dane County Farmers’ Market opens Saturday.

As the farmers’ market is a popular event among all city residents, Market Manager Larry Johnson expects a good turnout for the seasonal kickoff, especially if the nice weather holds up.

"Madison's a very food-conscious community and a great place to buy fresh local food," Johnson added. "It's a producer-only market, so you're talking to the producer who grew the food."

The farmers’ market, located on the Capitol Square, has been continually running since 1972 — taking place every Saturday until early November — and can gather nearly 20,000 people during the summer, according to Johnson.

Johnson said that simultaneously, a city-run arts-and-crafts market is offered across the street, which adds to the provided entertainment.

Nearly 100 vendors will sell their products this Saturday, which includes a variety of vegetables, fruits and flowers.

Maryellen Gillingham, owner of local business Cut-N-Dried, will be one of the vendors offering fresh-cut flowers to the public this Saturday.

A 19-year veteran of the market, Gillingham said competition between vendors has increased in recent years.

"Overall, it's been a real good market," she noted. "You have to come up with something new every year."

Johnson said getting a seasonal stall in the farmers’ market is a long process, as hopeful vendors can wait up to three years to reserve their own stalls every week throughout the upcoming months.

And even one longtime vendor will not have a regular stall in this season's market.

Meyer's Farm Market will not be one of many vendors around the Capitol Square because of technicalities with its stall permit.

Bryan Meyer, who currently runs the business, said he has waited four years and will have to wait another year before Meyer's Farm Market's current permit to be a vendor transfers ownership from former owner Sam Meyer to Bryan Meyer.

Sam Meyer, Bryan Meyer's father, passed away last year, and the latter said the market's rule to wait five years for an ownership transfer is "unfortunate."

This year will be the first year Meyer's Farm Market will not be a vendor in nearly 30 years.

"We're extremely disappointed," Bryan Meyer said. "I don't think the intent is to get rid of someone who's been there for so many years, but it's an unfair representation of the tenant."

And the long wait to process another application is also "a burden," according to Bryan Meyer, who likened it to "waiting for Packers tickets."

Johnson said while the waiting list is long, it is part of the market life, adding there are other smaller farmers’ markets in the community that run throughout the year.

"We don't see [the other markets] as big competition," he noted. "They're opportunities for even more people to sell their products."

But what makes the annual farmers’ market special, Gillingham said, is the many people she meets every Saturday.

"I think you meet an awful lot of interesting people," she said. "[I come back] because it's in my blood."

Johnson echoed Gillingham's sentiments, as the vendors gear up for Saturday.

"I think the support of the community is vital and the park-like setting is very unique," Johnson said. "The best part is the people. There are some real characters out there — both customers and vendors."

The farmers’ market will run every Saturday until November from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.