MPD arrests fleeing thief

Madison police arrested 19-year-old Wesley Dylan Cox after the Madison resident robbed a 64-year-old woman Friday afternoon.

The woman suffered minor injuries to her head and knee, according to a Madison Police Department press release.

Police officers responded to a report of a purse snatching in the area of Williamson Street and South Baldwin Street, according to a police release. The incident happened around 4 p.m., and the release stated that a witness to the incident was able to give a good description of both the vehicle and the suspect to the 911 dispatch center.

Madison Police Lt. Pat Malloy said about an hour after the robbery, police officers responded to a disturbance call in Monona.

The suspect in the later disturbance matched the descriptions given to the dispatch center, and officers were able to arrest the suspect.

Cox is currently being held in the Dane County Jail on two counts of robbery, as well as two counts of battery, possession of cocaine, operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, a probation hold warrant, five counts of recklessly endangering safety, two counts of theft, forgery and disorderly conduct.

"It's a crime of opportunity, generally," Malloy said of purse snatching. "It happens more frequently than people think."

Malloy was not able to comment on whether the elderly woman received her stolen purse.

Early Saturday morning, police also dealt with a disturbance at an Amoco gas station on East Washington Avenue.

"A group of guys got into a fight inside the Amoco station," Malloy said. "There was a pretty good fight going on inside there, a lot of yelling and pushing."

According to a police press release, officers arrived at the scene after the fight had been broken up and noticed the damage inside the store.

"The fight … resulted in a great deal of merchandise and property being knocked over and made unsuitable for resale," the release stated. "The front doors of the business were also shattered."

Malloy said once the officers arrived on the scene and broke up the fight, Madison residents Jeramie J. Mason and Galynese A. Conley-Williams tried to walk away from the area, ignoring the officers' requests to stop.

"Instead of listening to police commands to stop, they got in a car and came close to hitting an officer," he added.

A short pursuit ensued, Malloy said, until officers stopped the vehicle and arrested the two suspects.

Twenty-one year old Mason is charged with possession of marijuana and a parole hold, while 22-year-old Conley-Williams — who drove the car — was charged with eluding an officer, second-degree reckless endangerment, obstructing and a parole hold.