Violence erupts at transfer point

Police took a 15-year-old Madison resident into custody after he suspect allegedly assaulted a 22-year-old man Friday at the Madison Metro's West Transfer Point.

The teenage male allegedly attacked the victim after the two had engaged in a verbal confrontation on a bus, which led to a physical fight into the transfer point's parking lot, according to a police press release.

"I think it is a concern for the police department," said Madison Police Department Lt. Pat Malloy. "The [victim] had to go into the hospital because he suffered face lacerations."

At approximately 1 p.m., police arrived at the scene, where the suspect had hit the victim in the face.

The victim was taken to a Madison hospital due to injuries that required stitches, the press release states.

Police tried to locate the suspect, who fled when the police were notified of the altercation.

"Officers located the suspect on a bus at the intersection of Tokay [Boulevard] and Midvale [Boulevard] and took him into custody without incident," the press release stated, adding the suspect was taken to the Dane County Juvenile Reception Center.

Malloy said the scuffle is not the first physical incident to occur at a bus transfer point.

"At this point in time, we respond when [the dispatcher is] called," he added. "But we have given extra attention to the transfer points."

But Malloy said fights have also occurred on the buses, citing an alleged attack on a Madison Metro bus driver Thursday by four teenage suspects.

Malloy said the suspects were on the bus "causing a disturbance," and the 45-year-old driver told them to behave in a more orderly manner.

"[The teenagers] took offense to that, and when they were going to leave, one of them pushed the driver with his shoulder," he noted.

As the suspects left the bus, Malloy said, the driver took a picture of the suspects with his cellular phone.

The suspects boarded the bus again and attempted to take away the phone by punching and hitting the driver.

While both investigations are pending, Malloy added the police department is looking for security solutions, including a proposal to install security cameras in buses.

"I think people are talking about how to improve the situation," he said. "I don't want to paint this picture that it's dangerous [to ride the bus], but it's certainly a concern."