Police investigate door tampering

[media-credit name=’YANA PASKOVA/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]genetics_yp[/media-credit]University of Wisconsin police continue to investigate whether there was a criminal motive behind the tampering of a UW Genetics-Biotechnology Center office door over spring break.

UW spokesperson John Lucas confirmed that UW police were called March 14 to investigate whether someone tried to break into an office that has ties to a project headed by UW professor and WiCell Scientific Director James Thomson.

Lucas said no one gained access into the office and, with the investigation ongoing, police are not ruling out any possible motives.

"There's a little suspicion of what took place there," Lucas said, adding there was yet to be an indication of criminal activity.

However, Lucas also said the incident could have been a result of a prank or vandalism.
"It could be someone just messing around with the door," Lucas said.

UW Biotechnology Center officials would not comment on the incident.

Thomson achieved worldwide recognition in 1998 for leading the research team that was the first to isolate human embryonic stem cell lines.

The UW Biotechnology Center opened in Sept. 2004 and is located at 425 Henry Mall. The center conducts various genetics and biotechnology research and houses classrooms and offices for UW students and professors.