UW to repeal RA Bible-study ban

University of Wisconsin System President Kevin Reilly announced a proposal Wednesday that would allow resident assistants to lead and participate in all activities, religious and otherwise, anywhere on campus.

The proposed system-wide policy would replace previous policies, which varied among individual UW campuses, many of which banned RAs from holding or leading Bible studies within their rooms or residence halls.

"You have to weigh and balance everything," UW System spokesperson Doug Bradley said. "This [proposed policy] is the best way to ensure all students have access to everything our campus has to offer."

According to Reilly's recommended policy, RAs are encouraged to participate in campus activities and organizations available to students, as the RAs are students themselves.

However, the proposed policy also states RAs may not use their positions to "inappropriately influence, pressure, or coerce student residents to attend or participate."

Controversy around RAs' rights originally surfaced last fall when UW-Eau Claire revealed it had banned RAs from holding Bible-study sessions in their residence halls.

Reilly commissioned an investigation of the issue by a taskforce — the RA Working Group — comprised of representatives from each of UW's four-year institutions, as well as one from the UW Colleges.

The Working Group delivered its recommendations to Reilly in January, and included principles to be considered for a system-wide policy.

According to the UW release, Reilly considered those principles and public input in developing a "common sense" policy with legislators, chancellors, provosts, regents and other experts.

"I'm very happy we've gotten to the point now where finally the policy is going to be revoked," U.S. Rep. Mark Green, R-Wis., said. "The good news is there will be a system-wide policy; students' constitutional rights should not vary by campus. The tough news is it took so long to get here, it took a lot of negative publicity."

According to the current policy at UW-Madison, RAs are not allowed to conduct Bible studies at their residence halls but are permitted to participate in or lead sessions at other residence-hall buildings.

The policy at UW-Eau Claire, where the controversy arose, was similar to UW-Madison, but polices at other UW campuses vary.

"Any objective observer looking at this knew this policy was unconstitutional and, furthermore, outside the values of our state," Green said of the current policies.

Green congratulated the university on the new policy proposal and encouraged the Board of Regents to accept it.

Paul Evans, housing director for UW-Madison, noted the new policy would require the housing staff to reevaluate the training and expectations of residence hall house fellows, but added UW housing would comply if the proposal passed.

Evans said the issue of policy implementation will have to be discussed by the regents when considering the policy, particularly regarding the extent each individual institution implements the new policy in a way conducive to its program.

UW-Madison Chancellor John Wiley recognized the difference between the existing policy at UW-Madison and the proposed system-wide policy, noting RAs still have a responsibility to student residents.

"My position will be [that] even if it's allowed, when you're in your room, you're still on duty," he said. "If someone knocks on your door and wants your help, and you're holding a prayer meeting or whatever else, you dismiss everybody who's in there and you take care of your job."

Andrew Soll, vice chancellor for business and student services at UW-Eau Claire, also noted the importance of clarifying how implementation of the new policy would take place at each UW campus.

"Having a system-wide policy makes sense, but it's important to recognize differences among campuses," he said. "I'm looking forward to the discussion the regents will have next week to clarify everything in the new policy."

Rep. Robin Kreibich, R-Eau Claire, who authored a letter to Reilly in February urging a system-wide RA policy, said he is pleased with newly proposed policy and said it was "long overdue."

Kreibich added the best way for RAs to avoid "inappropriately influencing" students in their residence halls would be to begin Bible-study sessions with a disclaimer that student attendance was indeed voluntary.

Praising the new policy, Kreibich noted, "You don't surrender your first amendment rights when you become an RA."

But not everyone is pleased with the proposed policy.

Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the Freedom from Religion Foundation, a Madison-based organization, said she was "sorry to hear about [the proposed policy]."

Backers of a revised policy maintain RAs deserve the right to hold Bible studies like all other university students, Gaylor said.

"I think that is a very faulty conclusion because they are not like other students," she added.

Pointing to free room and board and a "cushy" job, Gaylor said being an RA is a tremendous privilege and added those in that position should be held to different expectations than other university students.

The policy proposal awaits approval by the Board of Regents, who will consider the new policy in next week's meetings.