‘Gay-friendly’ fraternity starts up in California

A new fraternity at California State University-Sacramento is making history this semester as the first co-ed, gay-friendly organization of its kind in the nation.

While gender specific gay-friendly fraternities can be found across the country, Fantasia Stensland, co-founder of Kappa Iota Nu, believed in the importance of catering her fraternity to all genders.

"We have students on our campus who have gender identity issues," she said. "We wanted to open [the fraternity] up so we weren't separating ourselves or excluding anyone."

Stensland emphasized the group was not formed to draw attention to the queer community on campus, but rather to offer support in a way that is "outside the mold," as membership in the fraternity does not exclude straight students.

Stensland said she values straight students who show interest for various reasons, whether they have gay friends, care about human and civil rights, or just want to lend support.

The fraternity's name, Kapp Iota Nu, was chosen by the three co-founders and is an important component of the organization, Stensland said, because it reflects the mission of the fraternity.

"We chose the name because [the acronym] spells out KIN," she added. "Those letters best represent who we are."

While there are other meanings behind the name only members know, Stensland noted she wanted a name that suggested a place where "friends become family."

Sacramento State Program Advisor Tom Carroll said the response for this fraternity has been good and believes it will be a positive addition to the campus community.

Although Sacramento State is a commuter campus, Carroll said the large enrollment — 28,000 students — is able to support Kappa Iota Nu and other fraternities, provided the interest is there.

And according to Stensland, that interest exists in the student body.

"This has all been overwhelming for me," she said. "I wasn't sure people would be interested and want to participate, but the response has been great."

The organization is still in its primary stages; the pledging process has begun, while the members work to finalize their constitution.

Co-founders are also meeting with organizations and a Greek advisor to formulate ideas for Kappa Iota Nu, Stensland said.

Kappa Iota Nu has applied for membership in the United Sorority and Fraternity Council, which caters to multicultural and non-traditional organizations. Recognition by the council requires a minimum membership; but Carroll said with the current response she has received, the group is well on its way to recognition.

In addition to students showing their interest in membership, Stensland emphasized the extensive support Kappa Iota Nu has been receiving from other Greek organizations on campus.

They have been outstanding in verbalizing their support because they see it as a way to help eradicate stereotypes the Greek system is constantly faced with, she said.

Stensland added she has received response from other campuses where students are reaching out for similar charters at their schools.

The long-term goal for the fraternity, Stensland said, is to have a national organization.

Students at the University of Wisconsin are also showing interest in having a gay-friendly fraternity on campus. An interest group has been formed by several male UW students for a chapter of Delta Lambda Phi, a national organization which accommodates to "gay, bisexual and progressive gentlemen," according to their website.

"It's a fairly new concept," Eric Trekell, the fraternity interest group's advisor, said. "But we've had some positive responses here. It's fairly far along."

Trekell noted a variety of fraternities with specialized focuses already exist on campus, and the addition would be beneficial in adding even greater diversity.

"The more opportunities we can offer, the better the experience is for the students here," he said.