Freezing pipes burst on campus

Last weekend's sub-zero temperatures caused flooding and minor property damage in several University of Wisconsin buildings after pipes froze over and burst.

Though university officials said the damage was "nothing major," and did not result in the cancellation of any classes, clean-up crews are still working to repair and dry out the affected buildings, which included the Biochemistry and Genetics buildings, Van Hise Hall and Engineering Hall.

"All things considered, the events were relatively insignificant," John Harrod, director of UW facilities planning and management, said in a phone interview Monday. "Looking at the whole of campus, the damages were kept to a minimum."

Harrod added a monetary assessment of the damage had not yet been completed.

Some of the worst damage occurred in the Biochemistry building in Henry Mall, where a ruptured fire sprinkler pipe resulted in water flooding a stairwell and the building's basement.

According to Harrod, when the water reached the basement's mechanical room, it short-circuited an electrical transmitter, causing a seven-hour power outage in the building.

Biochemistry Building Manager Ken Kalbfleisch said the flooding resulted in some equipment damage — but a full report was yet to be assessed — as well as slight, "cosmetic" damage to ceiling tiles, floors and benches.

A frozen pipe also burst in the Genetics building, causing a minor flood in the administrative offices.

All told, UW spokesperson John Lucas said "upwards of 30 buildings" reported minor problems as a result of last weekend's freezing temperatures.

Harrod said more problems might appear in the coming days — as many pipes and equipment that are still frozen might remain so for an extended period — but that the damage is about normal for the below zero temperatures Madison experienced.

However, Kalbfleisch said the damage would have been much more severe had it not been for the timely response of the UW facilities management staff and clean-up crews.

"It could've been a lot worse," Kalbfleisch said.

Harrod echoed those sentiments, adding that the facilities management staff anticipated the freezing temperatures and prepared for it by maintaining high building temperatures.

"We dodged a number of problems by keeping the building temperatures up," Harrod said.

As for which building took the brunt of the damage, Kalbfleisch said the question remains unanswered.

"It's a matter of debate, not a matter of pride," Kalbfleisch said.