Construction ignites portion of Madison Fire Department

fire_js_416Ironically, even the Madison Fire Department cannot escape the possibility of a fire.

A portion of the fire department's administration building caught fire Wednesday afternoon after some tar vapor caught fire from a wielding torch.

"The workers were using a cutting torch to cut a hole in part of the building to get some communication cables through to put into the building," Fire Department Public Information Officer Eric Dahl said.

Dahl said construction crews have been working on renovations for the administration building, which was built in the mid-'60s.

According to Division Chief Marcia Holtz, the fire department used an aerial ladder truck for training purposes and allowed the construction workers to climb up the ladder to do roof work. While the worker was on the ladder wielding with the torch, the tar vapor insulation ignited.

"It's my understanding [the construction crews] were trying to finish today," Holtz said. "This might set them back a little."

Holtz, who directed the crews, said the fire caused $6,000 to $10,000 in damages, mostly for tearing apart the roof to ensure the fire did not spread any further.

The fire department, however, did have the opportunity to search for further damages with new thermo-imaging cameras, said Holtz.

In another ironic twist, Holtz said the renovation crews just finished the fire alarm system last week.

"It's the first time I had ever pulled a fire alarm," she said. "It was very exciting."

Fortunately, Station 1 — located next-door to the administration building — was able to extinguish the fire in under five minutes with a hose.

"When we called, the first engine thought we were kidding," Holtz added. "But we had to explain to them that this was not a training session."

Though minimal, the fire required the 20 employees to evacuate the building, according to Dahl.

"This proves that a fire can happen anytime, anywhere," Dahl added. "We're not immune from the danger of fire."

Holtz said luckily no one was hurt, and said the timing of the fire was indeed ironic.

"It's one of those truly embarrassing things," she said. "It's like all of this construction was prepped for this one event."

— Jeff Schorfheide contributed to this report