Marquette student’s blog leads to suspension

Marquette University is facing a firestorm of criticism this week as observers from all sides of the political spectrum have blasted the private Jesuit school for suspending a dental student over comments he made in his private blog.

The student, Theodore Schrubbe, has been suspended from Marquette for conduct violating the dental school's standards of conduct, which are the "highest standards" expected in professional dentistry, according to university spokesperson Brigid O'Brien Miller.

Although it is unclear what exactly the university objected to in Schrubbe's blog, some of his musings treated Marquette professors and students with unsavory words.

"This year I intend NOT get f-cked by teachers, like I did last semester, cause (sic) 8 of our credits were taught by the same c-ckmaster of a teacher," Schrubbe wrote at one point. "I dont (sic) even gratify him by calling him a professor. He is one who teaches, as in should teach infants and children."

While Marquette political science professor John McAdams called Schrubbe's blog "ill-considered and rude," he added it was completely peripheral to notions of professionalism and criticized the university's hard-line stance.

"They were thin-skinned, [and] they stretched their own rules in order to come down on this particular student," McAdams said. "They would have been better advised either to ignore it or, at most, perhaps ask the student to simply write a letter of apology to the professor."

O'Brien Miller declined to comment on any specific information in the case, saying the matter is currently under appeal.

"The student's attorney filed a notice of appeal on Monday," she said. "The student is permitted to attend classes as usual as that appeal is pending."

According to McAdams, Schrubbe's attorney has until Friday to submit all the relevant material for the appeal. At that point, the dental school dean would have five business days in which to respond.

"A private university is not really restricted by the First Amendment," McAdams said, adding the university could still face other legal ramifications. "When Marquette took his money, it in effect went into a contract to educate him. If it suspends or expels him without his having clearly violated a clearly stated rule, it is arguable that they breached his contract."

In a Nov. 2 letter, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs Denis Lynch wrote to Schrubbe with his initial penalties, which, among other things, placed him on academic probation and required him to make a public apology to his class for "remarks made about them" on his blog.

"i (sic) don't know how i (sic) am gonna (sic) manage the same 80 people for the next 3 years, especially when 20 of them have the intellect/maturity of a 3 year old, or are just a plain pain in the ass," Schrubbe wrote in another entry.

Of particular note, McAdams said, is the vagueness of the dental school's code of conduct. Because of those vague guidelines, he noted, a jury may not find any violations in particular.

"This is sort of a dental-school thing. I think it's established outside the dental school you can say what you want outside on [your] blog," he added. "They sort of view themselves as having their own little fiefdom over there."

McAdams said Marquette's mishandling of the situation is nothing new and referenced a much more credible local blog listing recent cases in which Marquette decisions have spurred nationwide criticism.

"I've seen the Marquette administration be entirely boneheaded in similar situations," he said, adding he sees no evidence of the administration backing off. "A good plausible threat of a lawsuit might encourage them, but who knows."

Schrubbe's attorney, Scott Taylor, did not return a phone call seeking comment.