UW student still missing in Japan

More than two weeks after the disappearance of University of Wisconsin student Andrew Lathrop in Hokodate, Japan, police there have increased efforts to find him.

Lathrop, who was an intern teaching Japanese students to read and write English through Labo, an international exchange company, went missing Aug. 15 after splitting up with a fellow colleague, Ariel Smoke, during a weekend vacation to the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido.

Lathrop was set to return to the United States Aug. 20 and had already packed his bags and sent packages home.

Smoke and Lathrop visited the island as a way to cap off their year-long overseas tenure and were supposed to meet at a nearby train station.

Lathrop never showed.

Lathrop had text-messaged his friend and fellow intern at 9:53 a.m., stating he had stopped at a local beach and would meet her at the station.

Two men, one of whom has video footage of a person believed to be Lathrop sitting near the beach, claimed to have seen him during that time, yet there are no witnesses to Lathrop’s disappearance.

“There’s still no leads — nothing,” said Steve Lathrop, Andrew’s father. “He’s missing. That’s all we can say.”

Andrew’s father, who recently visited Japan with Andrew’s mother, Lesley, said that since their visit, Japanese police have assigned two detectives to investigate their son’s disappearance.

A Japanese “water police” patrol unit has also been assigned to the case.

“I thought they would drop the ball once we left,” he said. “We just appreciate the Japanese people helping us out. They’re very kind people.”

Steve said because neither Andrew’s body nor his personal effects — an iPod, wallet and cell phone — were found at the scene, Japanese police are beginning to rule out a possible drowning.

“They thought we were going to find his body. Because that didn’t turn out … it’s all speculation,” he said. “I think they’re beginning to suspect foul play, but we can’t be sure.”

Labo Intern Coordinator Shanti Laird said the prospect of foul play in Lathrop’s disappearance is not likely.

“We all believe it was not foul play,” she said. “It was an accident.”

Laird said it is likely Lathrop disappeared while swimming, hiking or walking somewhere — activities he enjoyed.

“We’re really trying to dig for more information or anyone with any information,” she said, “but the best thing is to find Andy.”