State streets perilous to walkers, study says

Watch out, Wisconsin walkers: the state’s metropolitan areas are becoming increasingly hazardous to pedestrians, thanks to poor street design and a lack of transportation funding, according to a new study released by the Surface Transportation Policy Project.

The “Mean Streets 2004” report, released in Wisconsin in coordination with the Sierra Club and Wisconsin Walks, found “meaner streets” compared to 10 years ago in a majority of the state’s major cities, including Milwaukee, Madison, Green Bay, Sheboygan, Appleton and Janesville.

A total of 106 pedestrian-related deaths occurred in the state during 2002 and 2003, the report found. Although pedestrians account for approximately 6 percent of all traffic-related deaths, Wisconsin spends a mere 1 percent, or $1.09 per person, of its federal transportation funding on walker-safety programs, said Brett Hulsey, Sierra Club Senior Midwest representative.

“Wisconsin is not spending enough money on walking safety,” Hulsey said. “If you look at Janesville, you see more deaths where there’s less spending.”

The report recommends increased funding for pedestrian-safety programs, better enforcement of traffic laws and improved sidewalk infrastructure to stem the tide of meaner streets.

The report found 4,827 pedestrians died on the nation’s streets in 2003. The four most dangerous metropolitan areas were all found in Florida, with Orlando claiming the dubious distinction of meanest city in America for pedestrians.

On the other end of the safety spectrum, Salt Lake City, Los Angeles and Austin, Texas, all experienced sizable declines in the number of pedestrian fatalities in the last decade.

In Wisconsin, the most dangerous streets belonged to Green Bay, Kenosha and Janesville. Although its streets trended toward more danger in the last decade, Madison remained ranked among the safest metropolitan areas for pedestrians, along with Eau Claire and La Crosse.

Despite the ranking, there are legitimate concerns for walkers in Madison, according to Hulsey. He said University of Wisconsin students are particularly vulnerable throughout the stretch of Gorham Street/University Avenue from State Street to Charter Street due to the wide road, quick stoplights and increasingly high levels of traffic being fed by urban sprawl.

Hulsey credited the newly installed stoplights and crosswalk on Johnson Street near Ogg Hall as “the kind of thing that needs to be more common.”

The Madison City Council recently approved increased funding for the Safe Communities Coalition to improve walker safety. Ald. Mike Verveer said he’s heard numerous stories about safety issues, particularly near the Capitol Square.

“It’s a big deal for a lot of our constituents that have had near-misses,” he said. “One of the downtown residents came to [a recent City Council meeting] just to complain about pedestrian safety.”

Verveer touted city efforts, including islands in the middle of streets and “bump-outs,” which extend sidewalks and narrow crosswalks, to help increase pedestrian safety.