Research head will leave UW

R. Timothy Mulcahy, associate vice chancellor for research policy, professor of pharmacology and associate dean for biological sciences at the University of Wisconsin graduate school, has announced he is leaving his top research post.

He will assume the position of vice president for research at the University of Minnesota.

Mulcahy, a former UW student and faculty member and administrator for the last three decades, helped coordinate campus research, including stem cell research.

He will take on his new position in Minnesota at the start of February.

UW has been a leader among universities in stem cell research since James Thomson and his collaborators successfully cultured human embryonic cells in 1998, according to the UW website. The Madison campus has more than 30 faculty members involved in a variety of stem cell research programs.

Andy Cohn, spokesman for the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, said UW’s stem cell research program is “absolutely” one of the best internationally. Cohn added UW distinguishes itself in the quality of its researchers, the number of articles it publishes, the number of patents it registers and the amount of funding the university receives from the federal government and from private sources.

“By any measure, we are a world leader,” he said. “I think we have an excellent program. We have the person who started the movement.”

Cohn said he believes UW’s program will continue to attract qualified researchers and administrators.

“[Mulcahy] will be missed,” Graduate School Dean Martin Cadwallader said in a UW release. “He has been a pivotal member of the Graduate School team and has provided the campus with invaluable leadership across a wide range of issues, including research policy, human subjects, animal care, conflict of interest, biosecurity, stem cells, the responsible conduct of research and research and graduate education in the biological sciences.”

Mulcahy noted, “success has always been a team effort,” while adding that he is pleased with his accomplishments at UW.

“I think I have worked effectively with people at all levels of the university,” Mulcahy said in the release.

He also said Minnesota is similar to UW in many ways and has “very strong research.”

“[Minnesota researchers] have a great vision for their future and are seeking to … realize their full potential,” Mulcahy said.

The UW graduate school will appoint an interim associate dean before finding a permanent replacement for Mulcahy next year.