DA will review death

Following the death of a University of Wisconsin student, the Madison Police Department has submitted preliminary investigation findings to the Dane County district attorney’s office. The police file was submitted with no recommendations to charge the driver who hit the student with a pickup truck Tuesday night, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

An employee in the DA’s office said Sunday night that “no recommendations” likely means the police department does not find the case clear enough to arrest or cite the driver, so they forwarded investigation results to prosecutors to make the decision whether or not to press charges.

“[No recommendations to charge] is somewhat common for police agencies … it is not the majority of the time, but not unheard of,” he said. “[With the accident circumstances], there are a range of potential penalties.”

Jai Plia Thao, a 21-year-old UW senior, was struck by a truck when crossing a street near the Madison East Side intersection of Milwaukee Street and Rustic Drive, MPD Sgt. Steve Beavers said Sunday night.

Mary Rowe of Rio, Wis., struck Thao according to a MPD release. Thao was later transported to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

The pickup driver was heading eastbound on Milwaukee Street, according to Beavers.

“Neither speed nor alcohol appears to be a factor in this case,” Beavers added.

Beavers said the case is still under investigation.

“We are still investigating whether it was an error by the pedestrian or by the driver,” he said.

Thao’s father has reportedly claimed inaccuracies exist in the original police accident report, saying Thao might not have been crossing the street. It is unclear if Thao was crossing the street.

Beavers said Thao’s father’s perceptions are his own and police are still investigating the specifics of the accident.

“These are the facts as we know them,” he said. “We are investigating the best we can and we’ll report [cases] as we see them.”

UW spokesman John Lucas said Thao’s death is a tragic loss.

“From everything we have heard about her, she sounded like she was a great student and had a bright future,” he said, adding the university offers condolences to her family.