SSFC approves 1 budget

The Student Services Finance Committee approved the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group budget after minor cuts and heard two new budget proposals in a meeting Thursday night.

A unanimous vote allocated $109,865 to WISPIRG for its 2005-06 budget, up more than $15,000 from its 2004-05 allocation. The committee made three cuts totaling $4,180.

The money allocated to WISPIRG, according to SSFC chair Janell Wise, will be a lump sum without any required specification of how it will be used.

The largest cut was $3,000, made in one amendment, but covered several areas of the budget cited by the committee, including web design, media report releases and state and national campaigns.

“Some of these [programs] have shifted focus to outside of campus,” SSFC member Erica Christenson said, adding campus is where SSFC-funded programming should remain.

Other cuts to the WISPIRG budget pertained to office supplies and travel.

Two other amendments to cut the WISPIRG budget were proposed, but failed.

After the meeting WISPIRG chair Travis Bird said he was disappointed with some of the cuts but was happy overall with the outcome.

“I’m very pleased with the [committee members] who spoke in favor of [WISPIRG],” Bird said. “We’ll do what we can with this money.”

The first budget presentation of the night was WSUM, the student radio station, which requested $285,521, which is $8,308 more than its 2004-05 allocation.

The station’s general manager, Dave Black, said the request is the first time in four years they have increased their request from the previous year.

“We’ve been very responsible,” Black said.

WSUM program director Meagan Manning called the station a free forum for students.

“[WSUM offers] a good overview of all kinds of music out there … We offer a diverse alternative to University of Wisconsin students,” Manning said during the meeting’s open forum.

Wung Sheek, an organization designed to promote the American Indian culture throughout the UW campus, requested $99,963 during its 2005-06 budget presentation. This is up more than $18,000 from its 2004-05 SSFC allocation.

The budget underwent one major increase and four decreases, according to co-president David O’Connor. Twelve thousand dollars of the increase from last year, he said, is because of added storytelling.

Storytelling events are very popular with students, UW student services coordinator Aaron Bear said.

“People are really interested in hearing stories passed from generation to generation,” Bear said.

Wung Sheek sponsors events on campus such as storytelling, a spring pow-wow and student discussions.

Final decisions will be made on WSUM and Wung Sheek’s budget requests Monday.

Before the meeting was adjourned, Wise admonished the committee for its lack of debate.

“I was frustrated tonight … [at times] we just sat in silence,” Wise said, adding members should come better prepared with budget amendments ready before meetings begin.

Wise said the year started out well, but fatigue is clearly becoming a factor.

“To give some organizations a free pass — you shouldn’t be on this committee,” Wise said.

Wise also said some removals of members might be in the near future for those who exceed the absence policy.