ASM election results require confirmation

Several days after the polls closed for the Associated Students of Madison fall elections, results are still not finalized for both the Student Services Finance Committee and the freshman Student Council elections because of several pending cases in the Student Judiciary, according to ASM academic affairs committee chair Ashok Kumar.

The ASM Student Judiciary met Friday night to hear the case filed against Student Election Commission chair Shelton Roulhac regarding the SSFC election.

Former Student Council chair Austin Evans, the petitioner, claimed Roulhac violated a resolution that was passed while he was chair, which is designed to stagger elections of newly created SSFC elected seats.

"[We] have to look at the letter of the law," Evans said in the hearing. "The two clauses [in the resolution regarding this case] passed overwhelmingly by the students. There shouldn't have been an election."

Jordan Green, who represented Roulhac during the hearing, passionately argued Roulhac followed what he was told and what was in the ASM constitution.

"Staggering is a great idea, but the ASM constitution doesn't mention it," Green said, adding the Student Council does not have sole power to amend the constitution. "Shelton (Roulhac) did what he thought was best."

Evans argued that because the resolution was a referendum — voted on and passed by the student body rather than the Student Council alone — it directly amends the constitution and is not solely an action by student representatives.

After the Student Elections Committee creates ballots, the Student Judiciary finalizes them.

Green said no one stepped forward until the election started and the Judiciary finalized the ballots when Evans called the election into question.

"This election didn't just fall from the sky," Green added.

In an interview, Evans said he is concerned about the legitimacy of the election.

"We have to honor the student body. I hope the court can see through the logic twists [presented by Roulhac and Green]," Evans said, adding he had to wait until the election started to file a complaint because he thought the problem was going to be taken care of.

A decision will be rendered within two weeks. The decision can then be appealed.

ASM vice chair Cedric Lawson said he heard the freshman Student Council election had complaints filed against it, which has also delayed the finalization of the results. He said he heard the complaints might include campaign chalking, which some people crossed out and replaced with other names.

Specific information regarding the freshman Student Council elections was not available at press time.

Kumar said similar cases have happened in past and typically delay the process.

"With these elections, it's almost guaranteed there's [going to be] a case," he said.

Kumar added when he ran for freshman seat last year, several cases were brought against him and his running mates, which after a re-election and Student Judiciary decisions, took until December to finalize the election.

Kumar's term is set to end Wednesday, but he said he might have to continue his duties as a freshman representative until finalization takes place.

The SEC meets tonight at 5:30 in the Memorial Union (TITU).