Balcony fall victim back to ‘fair’ status

The University of Wisconsin freshman that fell from a Mifflin Street balcony the weekend before classes began was upgraded to “fair” condition, according to UW Hospital source Trudy Brule.

Jason Gratzl, originally from Burlington, was listed in “critical” condition for nearly four weeks, until Thursday, when he was upgraded to “serious” as reported by the Wisconsin State Journal, and has since improved again.

A patient in fair condition has stable vital signs and is said to be uncomfortable or suffering minor complications, according to Brule.

Members of Gratzl’s family visited the injured freshman Sunday night.

To help alleviate some of Gratzl’s medical expenses, UW junior Michael Griffin and Gratzl’s Witte roommate Tim Harris helped create fundraising events.

“This week in Witte Hall, there will be a dollar war, where all floors can donate money,” Griffin said.

An event will also be held Sunday, Oct. 3, with food, live music and games in the Witte backyard.

Griffin added winners of the “dollar war” and various events Sunday would be entered in raffle with several prizes, including a videogame system, the Microsoft Xbox.

Proceeds from the fundraisers will go to the Jason Gratzl Medical Fund.

Griffin said after he and Harris decided to do something for Gratzl’s family, they contacted Witte Hall officials, who then helped them create the fundraising program.

“We had met [Gratzl] the same day [he fell] and it was a bad situation,” Griffin said. “Realistically it could have happened to anyone. We are trying to help out as much as possible.”

Griffin said anyone who wants to make donations or help out may come to the Sunday event or put money in an open account at Associated Bank in Madison.

Gratzl fell from a second story balcony the night of Aug. 28 while attending a party at 453 W. Mifflin St.

Alcohol was said to have played a major factor in the fall, as Gratzl reportedly leaned over the railing to vomit and lost his balance.