SSFC kicks off budgetary year

Each fall, a group of 16 University of Wisconsin students assemble to decide the fate of more that $19 million of student segregated fees, a required student tax paid in addition to tuition.

The Student Services Finance Committee meets annually in September, October and November to decide the eligibility and funding of campus organizations and to make recommendations to the Associated Students of Madison student council.

The group’s first budgetary meeting of the year is tonight.

Eligibility goes to groups who offer a unique service to campus while creating educational benefits and diversifying the campus climate, according to elected member Catherine Quinn.

“Students pay between $300 and $500 [in addition to] their tuition — we’re in control of that money,” Quinn said.

Organizations interested in funding first apply for eligibility to receive segregated funds, which is required every two years.

“Different student groups present applications of eligibility showing what it does on campus, what it does for students, if [anyone] can be involved, if it is unique,” Quinn said, adding most groups who apply are granted eligibility.

During the 2005-06 eligibility hearings, Sept. 9, 13 and 15, only one group — the International Socialist Organization — was denied.

ISO member Bill Linville said he is disappointed they did not receive eligibility.

“I feel like we do a lot of work on campus and are extremely active,” Linville said. “We’ll just have to go another year of self funding for all the stuff we do.”

Quinn said ISO was close to receiving eligibility, but various factors, including an incomplete application and other discrepancies in requirements, rendered them ineligible.

“I feel bad they didn’t [receive eligibility],” Quinn said, noting that, contrary to popular belief, the political agendas of SSFC members do not influence decisions.

If voted eligible, groups are guaranteed at least $4,100, but most groups ask for more, Quinn noted.

This is done during the budgeting process, in which groups present a budget outlining everything they could use money for over the year. The committee has the right, and often does, change funding for a student organization’s budget — either the total amount given or specific allocation of funds.

Quinn said budget inflation is sometimes a problem, but SSFC encourages groups to be as realistic as possible when configuring numbers.

“If [a group] needs $250,000 and [are realistic about their budget], we’ll give it to them,” Quinn said. She said when groups are more realistic, the budgeting process is much easier and quicker for SSFC.