Overture lifts curtain amid excitment

[media-credit name=’Derek Montgomery’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]overture1_dm_400[/media-credit]The city of Madison turned the first page in a new chapter for performing arts in the downtown area. After six years of planning, Phase I of the Overture Center for the Arts is officially complete.

In the middle of a sunny Saturday morning, throngs of visitors awaited the opening moment. When the doors opened at 9:45, the crowd filed into the brand new building with shining floors, polished glass windows and ticket windows ready for business.

Wisconsin VIPs including Governor Jim Doyle, County Executive Kathleen Falk and Mayor Dave Cieslewicz were among the many who enjoyed Overture’s grand opening.

After the doors opened, Call for Peace Drum and Dance performed an Invocation Ceremony. The lively program included ethnic dance and music.

George Austin, President of the Overture Foundation, welcomed the visitors and thanked Call for Peace Drum and Dance for the special opening blessing.

Austin’s daughter, Kate, a George Washington University sophomore, attended the opening events with her family.

“My dad talks about this place all of the time, but it’s definitely worth it to be here,” Kate Austin said.

Following the 20-minute dance and music presentation, patrons could partake in numerous free events.

Stilt walkers waving colored flags beckoned Saturday morning patrons to stop and check out the day’s events, a call many locals followed.

Crowds of students and families streamed in through the doors. Some came from the Farmer’s Market. Some came for the children’s festivities. Others attended out of curiosity.

Ann Brown from Sun Prairie made the trek downtown to buy vegetables and flower arrangements before stopping at Overture for the Invocation Ceremony.

“Coming by here was worth the effort. If you wanted to be inspired this was the day to do it,” Brown said.

Brown said the new arts hub will inspire more than just top professionals, but also anyone who might perform in one of the numerous halls. The light fixtures and the fossilized limestone were particularly interesting, Brown added.

Like Brown, University of Wisconsin sophomore Amber Barmore attended the Farmer’s Market before checking out the new arts center.

“This place is so big and modern, it’s very artsy,” Barmore said, who attended the free Natty Nation performance in the evening. “I like it a lot.”

To attract downtown visitors, volunteers welcomed people inside and answered questions outside. Downtown Ambassadors in yellow shirts offered information along State Street and around the Capitol Loop.

Overture volunteer JoAnna Rice was one of the many to greet people entering Overture.

“The accessibility [of the Overture Center] is so important for all ages and anyone interested in art,” Rice said. “This is such a big event for Madison and we want everyone to feel comfortable during the opening.”

Nearly every corner of the completed area gave patrons a taste of the diverse selection Overture will offer in the future.

Gallery 1 featured arts and crafts for families, while Overture Lobby showcased a puppet show by Cheney and Mills’ Big Ol’ Puppets. The Watrous Gallery on the third floor of Overture previewed art by local Wisconsin artists, including UW professors.

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra performed Saturday night in the 2,251-seat Overture Hall.

Michael Ogg, a sophomore at York University in Toronto, came back to Madison to visit some friends for the weekend.

“This place is a great asset to Madison and it will be for so many generations,” said Ogg, who attended UW his freshman year. “It will really enhance the culture downtown. I wish I was still in Madison because I would be hanging out at Overture.”

The man responsible for the Overture dream, Jerry Frautschi, donated $100 million to the center in 1998. Frautschi had originally planned to give $50 million but doubled the amount after working with a community advisory committee.

Both Frautschi and his wife, Pleasant Rowland, attended the opening day events and greeted incoming visitors.

“I am absolutely pleased with everything, all of the art and especially the organ,” Frautschi said.

Sarah Young, a UW sophomore, also was enamored of the new arts center.

Everyone just put so much work into this place and it’s beautiful; I’m amazed,” Young said. She added she is excited for the bigger Broadway shows to hit the Overture stage, such as “The Phantom of the Opera” in January.

Frautschi also said he plans to take advantage of all Overture will offer.

“I think [my wife and I] are signed up for every ticketed event,” Frautschi said with a smile. “In fact, we may end up staying the winter in Madison to see some shows.”