Police Chief will be In-House

Police Chief will be In-House

by Joanna Salmen

City Editor

The Madison Board of Police and Fire Commissioners decided Friday night to limit the search for a new Police Chief to applicants within the Madison Police Department, according to a statement from the board.

The board was faced with the task of replacing former chief Richard Williams when he announced his retirement in February after 11 years of service.

The board met Friday night to determine if they would limit applications to internal applicants or if they would embark on a nationwide search.

The board received statements from two potential applicants within the department stating their intent to apply for the position. All commissioned officers are eligible to apply for the position.

City Council President Mike Verveer said the two most likely applicants are interim Chief Noble Wray and Capt. Cheri Maples.

At their next meeting, the board will create the application, and interested persons will have four weeks to complete it.

The process will include initial screening of all applications, review of written examination responses, interviews and background checks.

The five-person committee, appointed by Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, determines the new chief independent of the City Council and the mayor. According to a statement from the board, interviews will be conducted in late June and early July.

An appointment should be issued in early or mid-July.