Crane falls on University Avenue

A hydraulic rough-terrain crane servicing the new addition of the Genetics Biotechnology Center on University Avenue fell during a routine load test Monday morning.

No injuries were reported and no property was damaged at the site.

The construction on the south side of the building under Miron Construction, based out of Neenah, Wis., will not be delayed, according to Miron corporate office employee Mark Miner. Miner also said a crane does not lift anything during a load test and it is not unheard of for a crane to tip over during the routine.

An additional crane was driven to the site to upright the giant piece of machinery, closing the bus lane and a bus stop for several hours, Madison Metro supervisor R. J. Callaway said.

Callaway said a University of Wisconsin police officer told him the crane came down very slowly when it fell, lifting two of its large tires more than six feet in the air.

Miner said the cause of the mishap is not yet known, whether it results from the windy day, inadequate support on one side of the crane or a different reason.

“It might take a week or better to figure out,” Miner said.

Even though the crane has a long boom, it never reached outside the construction zone, came close to a sidewalk or fell within 10 yards of pedestrian traffic.